Mystery....fungus...egg....stu ff??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
:confused:

Saw this today on a fallen decaying tree

3414214849_4a927940e6_o.jpg

It had the size and appearance of a poached egg

I want to say fungus...but for no good reason

I didn't disturb it as I'm reluctant to damage a fruiting body to slake my curiosity. I guess its pretty distinctive so I thought someone might be able to shed light on it

Red

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Best to see how it develops I guess, May be a type that forms though the year and then over winters.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
At a guess is that a corsican pine tree?
If so I saw the same thing in south wales recently I seems to be a kind of resin/latex seeping from the hole on a dead tree.
It's definitely not any kind of fungus but a discharge from a dead tree.I don't know if the recent raise in temperature has anything to do with it.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Certainly some form of pine.......fascinating if its sap / resin - never seen the like before!

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
It seemed to me to be a highly aerated form of resin but had the texture of latex.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I think I know...it´s possibly Oligoporus ptychogaster. Can´t find it on the Rogersmushrooms site though.

It´s very aptly called boompuist in Dutch meaning ´tree pustule´. I have only encountered it once, with a mycologist at my side. This site has some pictures, most of them look a bit more hairy though:
http://waarneming.nl/soort/photos/15753

Cheers,

Tom

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I just came on to start a thread about a similar fungi I found at the weekend.

I'll post what I was going to put here instead of starting a new one:

--------------------------

The parents were visiting at the weekend so went out hunting Ancient Trees with the Old Man.
While we were out we spotted this fungi.

DSC01653.jpg

At first I thought someone had sprayed expanding foam on the tree as it's very soft and is slightly 'oozing' down the tree.

It doesn't show in the picture but when cut open the flesh is a pale pink (and yes, it looks like a monsters head to me too!)

DSC01654.jpg

It has no smell, nor any taste (I didn't taste it but my Dad is a keen Mycologist and old so will take the risk. )

So, anyone know what it is? We presume it's the young form of a fungi but it is like nothing we knew.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Oh, and my Dad wondered if it was an early form of Dryads Saddle. I do know where one grows each year so may go see if I can see something like this at that site.

I shall certainly be returning to the one I posted a picture of to see what happens to it (Hopefully it will continue to grow)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Don't let this thread disappear folks; I for one can't wait to find out what this is.:cool:

One thing though:

"(I didn't taste it but my Dad is a keen Mycologist and old so will take the risk. )

A little less ageism from the young whippersnappers please.:p

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I guess its common to the fungi expert who identified it for me ;)

To me as a mere mortal however........

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
From the amount of people who have seen it ,it is definitely common but the identification is not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE