Mysterious Book---HELP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Hi all,

I am trying to find a book that I read quite a few times as a boy. It was about primitive skills and I seemed to remember it being illustrated. I particularly remeber a section o coiled pots. The people in the book may have been wearing buskskins and there may have been a man and a woman. i read the book in the late eighties I think.

I am pretty sure it was not one of the well known books by John and geri mcPherson.

Anybody got any ideas.

it may have been called something like living off the woods or land with nothing---or something along thoses lines.

Any help would be greatlt appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Thanks guys but that is not it.

The book was illustrated in some parts and was instructional in the skills shown. coiled grass baskets and hunting section too i remember. it must exist

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's a modern reprint of the 1945 text: "Wildwood Wisdom" by Ellsworth Jaeger.
491 illustrated pages of bushcraft at its finest. Extraordinary diversity. Crack the book open
to any page = there's always something interesting to learn.

ISBN-13: 978-0-936070-12-4 Shelter Publications, Inc. >> shelter@shelterpub.com

EJ was a faculty member of the Buffalo Museumof Science and an authority on American Indian lore & camping.

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
Any chance it could be Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsin. This book shows the things the OP mentioned.
Sorry I don't have a link.

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
Hi all,

I am trying to find a book that I read quite a few times as a boy. It was about primitive skills and I seemed to remember it being illustrated. I particularly remeber a section o coiled pots. The people in the book may have been wearing buskskins and there may have been a man and a woman. i read the book in the late eighties I think.

I am pretty sure it was not one of the well known books by John and geri mcPherson.

Anybody got any ideas.

it may have been called something like living off the woods or land with nothing---or something along thoses lines.

Any help would be greatlt appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

Andy,

I know it's sometime that you sent this thread, but I have read two books by John and Geri McPhearson which was about primitive skills 'Wilderness Living and Survival Skills' which came out in 1993 and another book called 'Primitive Wilderness Skills' which came out in 2008.

These two books especially the primitive skills book sounds what you were describing?? hope it is of some help and I think you can still get these books from Amazon? its worth checking it out.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE