MYOG Ti Caldera Clone

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Knocked this up earlier today from some 0.005 inch think titanium I had left over from a previous project.

It's sized to fit my Toaks 550ml Ti pot, weighs in at 38 grams and using a MYOG pop can meths stove it brings approx 500ml of cold water to a rolling boil in a little over 6 minutes.

Yet to measure how much meths it's burning to bring that amount of water to the boil but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Tidy job Matt

I keep meaning to dig my CC out, it's long though so it needs the caddy rather than stuffs in a pot, that's the only thing that puts me off. I was looking at getting one for my new Evernew 600ml pot, but at the end of the day it's forty odd quid for what's essentially an aluminium windshield.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
That's a really neat, impressive set-up! Well done.

Thanks Tiley

Tidy job Matt

I keep meaning to dig my CC out, it's long though so it needs the caddy rather than stuffs in a pot, that's the only thing that puts me off. I was looking at getting one for my new Evernew 600ml pot, but at the end of the day it's forty odd quid for what's essentially an aluminium windshield.

Cheers mate. Yeah I know what you mean, I've nearly ordered one a couple of times in the past but always resisted as I'm not sure how much use it'd actually get. This one worked out pretty well though and as above I had the titanium sat in the cupboard doing nothing. To carry mine I've got a loop of cord with a cord lock on it to keep it rolled up tight, then I've made a tyvek sleeve to slide it in to to stop any edges catching on other stuff in my pack.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Knocked this up earlier today from some 0.005 inch think titanium I had left over from a previous project.

It's sized to fit my Toaks 550ml Ti pot, weighs in at 38 grams and using a MYOG pop can meths stove it brings approx 500ml of cold water to a rolling boil in a little over 6 minutes.

Yet to measure how much meths it's burning to bring that amount of water to the boil but I'm quite pleased with how it turned out :)

Looks really good, well done bud :)

Tidy job Matt

Is the cone for the 600ml evernew supposed to fit inside the pot? From what I saw on Tony Hobbs video it's supposed to but my cone came other day and it looks a bit too long to fit in a 600ml pot, I'm not sure though as still waiting for my pot to arrive. Also on his video it came in a sleeve instead of canister.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Looks really good, well done bud :)

Is the cone for the 600ml evernew supposed to fit inside the pot? From what I saw on Tony Hobbs video it's supposed to but my cone came other day and it looks a bit too long to fit in a 600ml pot, I'm not sure though as still waiting for my pot to arrive. Also on his video it came in a sleeve instead of canister.

Cheers :)

I might be wrong but I think the Classic comes in the caddy and doesn't fit inside the pot, where as the Sidewinder etc versions are sized to fit inside the pot and don't come with a caddy

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

I'm pretty sure I've seen a CC that fits inside the short 600ml pot, can't seem to find it on the TD website though, it must have been on a blog somewhere. I think Tony's got the Sidewinder which is what I'd go for next, the standard CC is too tall/long to fit in a small pot so it's needs the caddy.

$79.95 for the Evernew ECA251 .... http://www.traildesigns.com/stoves/caldera-sidewinder

EDIT:

Too slow :)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
The standard cone and the sidewinder are both designed to fit pot in question so would have assumed the Sidewinder was same dimensions as standard but made of Ti? I Must be wrong :(

Fancy buying a CC for your evernew 600ml Rich? :D

Last edited:

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Great job!! What material did you use Matt?

Tab
Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve, as mentioned above it's made from 0.005 inch thick titanium, from memory I think it came from ebay

hi matt any chance of a tutorial on how to make it ?regards dave

Hi Dave, made in a similar fashion to this one:

[video=youtube_share;VerP7-aiEBw]http://youtu.be/VerP7-aiEBw[/video]

There's also a nifty calculator thing available as discussed here

:)

potboiler

Jan 20, 2009
Dorset
Looks great. I admire people at the level of skill where they can "knock something up" like this, while I can just about take the lid off a bean-can!

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The other day I did some experimenting with meths in a Trangia 25 and an Optimus 111T (using the standard all-fuel jet and the air restrictor tube).

I boiled about 420ml of water on each and measured how much meths it used.

I was disappointed by the Optimus running on meths, it was a lot less efficient than the Trangia.

Trangia 11 grammes.

Optimus 30 grammes.

No contest. Not being in a hurry most of the time out in the sticks, the timing doesn't really bother me. But it was about 8 minutes for the Trangia and about 12.5 minutes for the Optimus.

I'd guess that the Optimus would perform better with an alcohol jet instead of restricting the air flow. I might try that some time, but the jets I bought the other day don't fit. :(

Anyway I'd be very interested to know how the Cone performs in comparison to these numbers, at a guess I'd say it might have the edge on the Trangia.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Looks good matt, What happenened to the aluminium one you were making?

Thanks mate, I made an Alu version for my Alpkit pot, it worked out ok but I wasn't happy with it, I think a different gauge aluminium may have been better. It ended up about 90g or so. Ti version much better though and rolls up a lot smaller without deforming

Looks great. I admire people at the level of skill where they can "knock something up" like this, while I can just about take the lid off a bean-can!

Thanks, as in the vid it was quite straight forward, plus the thin titanium is very easy to work with just using scissors and a normal hole punch etc

The other day I did some experimenting with meths in a Trangia 25 and an Optimus 111T (using the standard all-fuel jet and the air restrictor tube).

I boiled about 420ml of water on each and measured how much meths it used.

I was disappointed by the Optimus running on meths, it was a lot less efficient than the Trangia.

Trangia 11 grammes.

Optimus 30 grammes.

No contest. Not being in a hurry most of the time out in the sticks, the timing doesn't really bother me. But it was about 8 minutes for the Trangia and about 12.5 minutes for the Optimus.

I'd guess that the Optimus would perform better with an alcohol jet instead of restricting the air flow. I might try that some time, but the jets I bought the other day don't fit. :(

Anyway I'd be very interested to know how the Cone performs in comparison to these numbers, at a guess I'd say it might have the edge on the Trangia.

I'll update here once I've had chance to have another play, it probably won't be until after the TGO now though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE