My trusty volkswagen.......

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Has just blown its turbo:aargh4::aargh4::bluThinki

A noise,loads and loads of smoke and engine racing its **** off!!
This is real bad timing,2 weeks off work without pay(self employed) plus the expense of christmas.....:rant:

:sulkoff:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Not good, there's nothing worse than seeing a cloud of white smoke in your mirrors when it goes. I've blown a couple in my time :)

Will you get a courtesy car on your insurance?

Hope you get back on the road a.s.a.p

What VW is it?

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Not good, there's nothing worse than seeing a cloud of white smoke in your mirrors when it goes. I've blown a couple in my time :)

Will you get a courtesy car on your insurance?

Hope you get back on the road a.s.a.p

What VW is it?

Ive never had one go on me but i know about the signs........this was most certainly the sign!!
Mmmmm insurance,,,i'll look into that mate:)

Its a bora tdi 'highline' with black 18" alloys on it :eek:,(im quite young still:D)ive had it nearly 10 years and with 170,000miles i guess its just tired:rolleyes:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Sorry to hear that Woof :(

Is it a T5 or T4 dub?

I may go outside now to stroke my VW's turbo, offer it a nice drink of synthetic oil and apologise for ragging it. :puppy_dog:surrender:

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Sorry to hear that Woof :(

Is it a T5 or T4 dub?

I'm going outside now to stroke my VW's turbo, offer it a nice drink of synthetic oil and apologise for ragging it. :puppy_dog:surrender:

:lmao::lmao:!!!!

Its a bora tdi.....a now poorly one:rolleyes:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
My VW sailed on to 269,000 before i sold it. Thank god it didnt have a turbo.
At least its a common turbo to get hold of.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
My VW sailed on to 269,000 before i sold it. Thank god it didnt have a turbo.
At least its a common turbo to get hold of.

Thats some seriously good mileage mate.

Im no mechanic but advice from a reputable vw forum has just said that theres possibility of bent con rods, valves and smashing piston heads.Oh jeez:bluThinki
Hopefully find out tomorrow when the spanners come out:sigh:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
As its blown its turbo seal and no doubt ran faster on the sump oil (I'm assuming its a diesel here) has it also used up all the sump oil?

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Good luck. Its worth contacting the VW forums they will be able to advise the best way to go. I have saved thousands over the years. They also know the best indy garages close to your area. In the past I have replaced a turbo on an octavia for just over £400. Whatever happens i would advise using someone who has experience with turbo replacements.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Good luck. Its worth contacting the VW forums they will be able to advise the best way to go. I have saved thousands over the years. They also know the best indy garages close to your area. In the past I have replaced a turbo on an octavia for just over £400. Whatever happens i would advise using someone who has experience with turbo replacements.

Already involved with ukmk4's forum mate,a wealth of knowledge.......unfortunatley this time i would have prefered not to hear there advice!!
Hopefully get this to my local garage tomorrow if there open.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Hope it works out ok. There is never a good time for them to go wrong but this is an especially bad time. I feel for you mate.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Ok,new turbo £290 supplied only.Im having a compression test done saturday to see the condition of the engine so need to decide when i know the outcome.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Got in my Octavia this morning only to hear a groan from the blower heater. One hour later no heat and misty windows. Two hours later put a new one in £90 what a day!

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Its dead,advice is engine has compression but not guaranteed,all things considered,age,mileage its not worth me shelling out on so imgoing to put it on ebay as a non runner once ive got the private plate on retention ready to sell.

Ahh well :tapedshut happens i guess!!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Sorry to hear that. There does come a point when its time to let them go. Good luck with getting a new one.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
... a reputable vw forum has just said that theres possibility of bent con rods, valves and smashing piston heads.Oh jeez:bluThinki
That should only occour if its been allowed to rev to destruction, shouldn't it?

I had a diesel overrun in a freelander once, luckily a manual... I ran it into a handy tree and dropped the clutch to stall it so it only got to around 7k revs. We changed the turbo seals and everything was good :)

I understand its the combination of worn seals and overfilling the engine oil that breeds the optimum conditions for sump pressure to build up to the point it mists... tis scary to turn off the ignition and have that 'Christine' moment, isn't it?!

Hope it pans out ok for you :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE