My traditional kit: canvas and leather!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I think Clouston needs a rather large log cabin built for him to house and turn into a museum for all his Gucci kit :eek: - gonna have to be a big one though! I salivate everytime I wander through this thread, but never feel jealous, I know he deserves and looks after it all.

Ah cheers Colin! And yeah I wouldn't mind one - a nice secluded caning full of gear hmmm yummy :D

Edit: congratulations on your promotion to mod mate! You'll do a grand job I'm sure :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Log houses can be nice but it doesn't follow that they necessarily are. The one I lived in wasn't. My boss grew up in Northern Rhodesia and lived in a grass hut with a thatched roof. You might note that neither of us live in either a log house or a grass hut now.

Haha yes very true- they are nice in theory and as you said before romantic. :)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Don't get me wrong about log houses (not cabins--a cabin has a dirt floor). New ones are still being built in this area and I understand they're still popular in Germany, Switzerland, Scandinavia and Russia. Some are fancy, some are plain. They're actually fairly common here in Northern Virginia. Curiously, they look nothing like the ones in the area where I'm from. Detail-wise, the ones here could have all been built by the same man and probably some were. Most have additions in brick or stone. I have no idea where the tradition of log houses and cabins came from in the Mid-Atlantic region since most of the settlers came from Britain. But many also came from Germany (my name is Anglicized German--it's really Blaue Zug), so maybe that's where it came from. I don't remember seeing any log houses in Britain or for that matter, in Germany, either. But I've never seen a thatched roof here, either, except in the Jamestown settlement.

The distant past is only one generation ago.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Don't get me wrong about log houses (not cabins--a cabin has a dirt floor). New ones are still being built in this area and I understand they're still popular in Germany, Switzerland, Scandinavia and Russia. Some are fancy, some are plain. They're actually fairly common here in Northern Virginia. Curiously, they look nothing like the ones in the area where I'm from. Detail-wise, the ones here could have all been built by the same man and probably some were. Most have additions in brick or stone. I have no idea where the tradition of log houses and cabins came from in the Mid-Atlantic region since most of the settlers came from Britain. But many also came from Germany (my name is Anglicized German--it's really Blaue Zug), so maybe that's where it came from. I don't remember seeing any log houses in Britain or for that matter, in Germany, either. But I've never seen a thatched roof here, either, except in the Jamestown settlement.

The distant past is only one generation ago.

Yes I can be marine ones with all mod cons being more liveable than the traditional ones. Log houses and cabins aren't really a British Thing- you see very few around and I don't think they've ever been a traditional home Either - our house is nearly 400 years old and it's stone built so I guess that's been the way for a very long time. There do seem to be more cabins on continental Europe - so that could well be how they ended up in the States :).

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Bison Bushcraft moleskin trousers:

imagejpg1_zps69404c11.jpg

Hi

How do you find these and in particular the fit around the waist? Do they ride high or low at the back?

Can't make up my mind between a pair of these or the Fjallraven Vidda Pro Trousers.

Cheers

K

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Waxed vidda pro trousers have a fantastic traditional feel to them and dry very fast when soaked. however. How much does a full overnight or multi day setup weigh Cameron?

I have a real love of Fjallraven's g1000 material just now due to it's texture and look when waxed which has slowly replaced my canvas stuff. Canvas whilst looking great weighs a tonne when wet.

Kits looking good mind you! See lots of my items in there too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE