My tools, basic but awesome + pic's

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
AMK1.jpg

AK1.jpg

Hey everyone, as you can see this is my first post. I'd just like to show you my trusty kit and talk about our tools' history and why we love them. I use these guys for all my bushy activities.

Obviously the Mora and vitorinox i've not had long but i've used the mora for alot of carving,chopping of foods and general crafts, the victorinox stays with me in my belt pouch everyday, good for all sorts. The machete is a £6 jobby from ebay many years ago, after grinding a shaving sharp edge on it for the first time i new from then on it was going to be a good user chopped everything with it..trees, logs, branches, wire, fencing, plaster walls, posts, plastic..it's a work horse and is tough as heck! The old hand axe i was given when with a friend on a woodland hike/den building trip. Since then i've used it for anything..even on metal..chopped a old kids bike in half, grind the blade clean and sharp after anything 'vigerous' and its still a beast. And the sharpening stone is a good companion for my knives.

Thanks for reading.

what do you guys use? got pictures/stories? :)

Last edited:

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
evening Samon and welcome mate, looks a good and well used selection you have there :)

i have the mora 510 but with a finger guard and lanyard hole.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Thank you, do you have any old tools?..the sorts you'd thrash and put to work yet love with all your heart?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Is that the red handled 510? I've come to learn they stopped production of the 510s without the finger guard..I got mine from the ray mears site, they are in limited numbers though..apparently.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I bought the same Mora the other day, what a nice knife.

I used to use Moras as a fisherman - they were the standard knife sold in Mallaig. We used red handled ones that used to rust up, but would carry on cutting nicely. I guess they might have been carbon - either that or the stainless wasn't up to life on a commercial fishing boat. They were sorely abused and considered disposable, every season we just bought a load more :yikes:

Suffice to say - I'll take better care of my RM one

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I bought the same Mora the other day, what a nice knife.

I used to use Moras as a fisherman - they were the standard knife sold in Mallaig. We used red handled ones that used to rust up, but would carry on cutting nicely. I guess they might have been carbon - either that or the stainless wasn't up to life on a commercial fishing boat. They were sorely abused and considered disposable, every season we just bought a load more :yikes:

Suffice to say - I'll take better care of my RM one

if it was salt water then yeah, a carbon steel wouldn't do too well unless cleaned and oiled afterwards. I forced a mild patina on mine just to keep it safe..and i'm not too fond of shiny blades. (too many finger prints)

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I've done some research - they were 510's my dad used to buy for the boat. Same pattern on the handle and same sheath as our RM jobs. They weren't looked after at all. Left jammed in under the gunnels as safety knives, or left lying in the bait box. Used to handle really nicely no matter how you treated them, even when wearing thick rubber gloves and being bounced around in a force 8.

Now I'm feeling really guilty

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
haha i bet the knives loved every minute of their short lives! if i were a knife i'd rather be in the action doing my job than sitting in a box or on display like a shiny paper weight.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I guess you're right when you put it that way - we also had one of these:

get.php

A Mora Butcher knife. Quite expensive so we took better care of it than the 510's

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
nice looker, i've never really fished much personally..the odd bit here and there and mostly sea fishing with my dad when i was young. never hooked anything other than eels myself..which we'd sell to the local chinese resturant for like 50p each haha! Do you have many working knives? reccomend any for various or specific duties?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
not a valuble knife as such, more like nostalgic for old school mora fans. yeah mears' got it on his site, only site around with them actually..i'd snatch on eup if i were you guys, might never get one new again. they sell the mora 511 though, its essentually the 510..but in red handle that has a large finger guard. persoanlly i think my 510 needs a little bit more finger guard as the handle's somewhat slippy when wet with water or blood. I love the blade though, proper quality and no bull**** with moras. Im sure if someone knew there stuff they could remove the plastic handle and work a more fancy job on it too, might be worth looking into as i don't intend of ever getting rid of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE