My Toddyshirt!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
I'm a bit late posting this up as I sewed it a few weeks ago now but here is my (almost) completely finished Toddyshirt. After seeing the pattern amnesty thread I hope this comes as a bit of encouragement to Mary. Some of us are using the patterns and they're great! :)

IMAG3822_zpsdfb9367c.jpg

It's just waiting for some poppers on the sleeve tabs, I tried buttonholing using our machines 'auto buttonhole' feature and after 3 attempts the whole lot nearly went through the nearest window! So poppers it is.
I think I must've sewn the seams of the shoulder sections a little too small resulting in my collar piece not being long enough, I'll cut a longer one at some point, but to be honest it's perfectly useable as it is! The only other thing I might do are a few chunky support stitches at the tops of the side gores and bottom of the neck gusset as I didn't quite get them perfectly neat and secure. Might do that with some contrasting coloured thick thread to make a 'feature' of them.

Can't decide whether to dye it green or not, I'm really pleased with how I incorporated the faint red stripes of the blanket onto the shirt, matching the sleeves to the body too. They'd be lost if I dyed it, but then is cream really a practical colour? Probably not! :)

Jim

Last edited:

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Very nice! It may be that the stripes incorporate with the dye, happened a bit on my toddyshirt.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh well done :D Very neat looking, and the stripes work :) As John says, they too will take up some dye so they will still show, just kind of blended into the whole thing.

Buttonhole stitch is just blanket stitch worked fairly closely together. On wool like this it's very easy to do......somewhere I posted hand stitching diagrams, I'll see if I can find the photos for you. Poppers will work too though :D

I'm really pleased to see this; it's good to know folks are making from the patterns :D

Thank you for posting and the photo

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Looks really good that. If thats cream it must be a trick of the light, looks a nice pale green to me.

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Thanks folks, and I'm glad you approve Mary! :) I think I'll dye it, it'd be nice have it in good old olive drab.
Thank you for the kind words, although I assure you the pic does it a lot of justice, close up its not perfect, but that said it's only my first go so I was getting the hang of things like thread tension in the machine which I discovered make a huuuuge difference to quality of finish. My folks visited last week though and my mum genuinely couldn't believe I'd made it. I wasn't sure if that was a compliment or not! (i took it as one!)
I can see some of my mates wanting one soon so I might get some orders! Ha!

Jim

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have found the photo with the sketch of the blanket stitching.

The third is blanket, or buttonhole, stitch;

8169766584_08f9b8668f.jpg

This stitch is the one that is used to edge the folded over hems of blankets, and stitched closely it edges buttonholes. However, it will stop a raw edge from fraying too. It's not particularly stretchy though, so it's not always suitable for hems, cuff and necklines. It looks best when worked with a consistant tension, and it needs to be securely finished off otherwise it has a tendency to unravel. Once a woollen edge has partially felted around it though, it'll not budge :)

It was in the thread on making use of a shrunken jumper/pullover.

atb,
M

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Thats really excellent, I've been dying to see a finished one to get an idea of what a toddyshirt would look like :) Its more of a toddysmock than I'd envisaged... wonderfully practical, our Twodogs has made a few and every one is unique :D

Congratulations to the pattern creater as well, of course! You must be pumped to see one completed, Mary :) Can I ask you to get a shot of it on, Woodsman? Would love to see it modeled, even without its final closures :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had sketched out a series of extras for the shirts; this original pattern was the one that suited HWMBLT best...he hates dangly cords, doesn't like kangaroo pockets, isn't a fan of patch pockets either....so it was very simple. Turned out to be really practical though, comfortable to wear, doesn't mind rain, wind, snow or hard work :D

I'll see about the extras and see if instead of making a pattern sheet for them, I manage some kind of scan that can be printed out by whoever wants to copy it.
Not right now though; kind of up to my eyeballs in emulsion and gardening.

atb,
M

WoodsmanJim

Forager
Oct 27, 2013
Wirral
Here you go Turbogirl, although quite why you'd want to see my mug I'm not quite sure! Haha!

IMAG3905_zps26d0a332.jpg

I think I'll add a kangaroo pocket to this one, and if I do another one I'd make the hood about 3" longer. I do like a massive hood!

Jim

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
HWMBLT likes a hood, but one that doesn't blow down in the wind, so that one was designed to close over with the button/toggle fastening at the neck gusset and stay up, without needing a draw cord and toggles.

I think that's looking a little roomy on you, but if you're going to dye it, and the washing/dyeing might shrink the wool a bit, I think that might not be a bad thing :) If it does felt any, that's a good thing; it helps stop the wind :D

cheers,
M

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Jim that looks amazing! Presumably modeled without the layers underneath that you'll have while out and in serious use so I think its size looks spot on, I like stuff big for air trapping :) Very VERY well done lovey!

Toddy what a gorgeous pattern. Hats off to both of you - the shoulder and head fit is superb :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE