My third knife....criticism wanted please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
point taken m8 and really i did think about it but i did narrow them more on my second knife as opposed to my first and didnt like it as much....i certainly like a bigger knife in my hand, fact, and especially where the thumb goes....of course if i was using it all day i'd probably suffer, i dont know....seems the standard is to make narrower yup but these are personal so suit me darn good.

Abosluty matey, personal comfort is the key for your own users!:D

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Lovely knife jet again, personally I do not really like the lanyard hole yet that might be just a matter of taste, I think it so harsh as opposed to the other smooth shapes on the knife. The other remark I want to make, judging your work like the harshest judge that ever walked the earth, is the double colored rivets it seems they arent completely flush (except for the back one on the left side of the blade, that one looks as perfection should be), that ,if my panties were in a knot, would bug me just a little, that is the only possible critsizm I got for you man ^^ and I tried hard to find anything else that didnt quite please me, but hey your a pro it seems, Lovely stuff and please never ask me to be such a critic again, cause I'm feeling like a... well a very bad person right now.

as far as a personal favorite I gotta go with the Oak handled one, I love the color mixes and the lovely Mosaic on the back.
I'm seriously considering to order my first esthetically pleasing, and somewhat more expensive knife from you, but be patient ^^ I'm still a student so give me a year or two ^^.
Yours sincerely a Great fan Ruud

Last edited:

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...this is proving very interesting and useful guys so a big thanks and keep comments coming....i seem to be getting an even mix of people who like/dont like colours....i still cant make my own mind up either lol.....

yup grey array....those little black blemishes on rivets.....i do indeed seem to have a prob getting them gone....same on last knife....i've filed....ive sanded....scared i'm gonna end up with a toothpick lol.....anyone know what i'm doing wrong or am i just being clumsy?....trust me the ''perfect'' one was just luck! i do the same to all of them and the black marks just move with the thread of the internal screw....

good reason to use corby bolts of course (lw norfolk) but erm....i didnt want to use corby bolts because theyre not loveless bolts....yup a look thing....and i didnt have any copper corbys and have never seen any either....(i'm expecting an outraged email from tom now pointing out that he does indeed stock them and that i need to be more observant lol!)

ok...lunch over, back to the grind.....new thread.....'who hates their day job more than me?'

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
The criticism I have is that it is not currently in my hand. Once that changes, then I'll have nothing to complain about.

Very nice job on that one, and indeed all three. Lovely finish.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Angst, I have been thinking about the "rivets" of brass and copper, and why those blemishes might form, only thing I could come up with is a rather annoying one, it is because copper is allot softer then brass, so it might be okay if you'd sand in circular motion or only from copper to brass, maybe make a shield, sand towards onside and then move the shield to the other side.
Purely theory here, just trying to think with you.

Yours sincerely Ruud

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Looking good Angst - can't say I notice anything flawed at all!

And to HillBill - thanks for sharing this gem of a tip!
....3, put some tape on the blade so that it goes under the handle material, then put the handle on but NO GLUE, the score the tape around the front of the scales with a sharp knife, remove the scales and peel the bit of tape off that was under the handle, then when you glue the handle on, the tape will be totally flush with the scales and no glue will get on the blade ( i use this method, takes a bit longer, but works well. Though you will have to pop the build up of glue off with a knife from the front of the scales)

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
really nice man! beautiful!
since you asked for criticism; the first pic; maybe make the handle a bit slimmer (less stubby) at the blade. When doing finer work and when one grabs the knives blade it can be too big.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE