My Take on the Bushtool.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Native Justice

Forager
Apr 8, 2008
Littleton, CO USA
Have you considered how you can streamline the handle of the firesteel protruding from the knife handle?

Just a thought but maybe you could grind down the base until it resembles a lanyard hole. Then it would have a funtional use as well.

Personally. I would take it even one step further and mill it down to a radiused stub that I'd drill out to insert a small "D" ring to clean up the appearance even more.

Very nice work based on a sound design. I wouldn't be overly concerned with the pin issue since your using micarta which is nearly a structural plastic composite; as long as the scales are left reasonably thick, you should have all the handle strength you could want.

Here's to looking forward to seeing the finished product!

paul123

Oct 12, 2007
Derbyshire England
Hi i have added a couple more pics, it has a "tan kydex coat" a corian screwed plug with a dartmoor compass in the top and a large tecklok fitted. As i said on BB a few mins ago i enjoy very much making this style of knife (it's different and i can improve the design of it) so i will be making some more in the coming weeks (i have some blaze orange G10 and blaze orange kydex!!)
With a smile Paul.
PS Thanks for the kind comments indeed!!

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Paul, here is a possibility that just came to me while looking at you pics. How about getting a piece of stainless steel tubing and welding / brazing it into the blade where the fire steel is now situated. This would greatly add strength back to the hilt that is perhaps now missing. If the tube was threaded on the inside, the firesteel cap could be made to screw in and with a "o" ring it would be water proof and secure. Have the tubing of not much greater diameter that the firesteel. This would require that the handle scales be relieved somewhat in that area but a Dremel tool should make short work of that. Just thinking out loud.

paul123

Oct 12, 2007
Derbyshire England
Hi all i have added a couple more pics, i have rounded the handle off a little also i have incorporated a diamond Buck sharpening steel, also it went into the woods this morning and "thrashed" a load of branches off, i am quite pleased with it.
THANKS for the very positive and kind comments indeed, it does give me a "buzz".
Kind Regards Paul.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I keep coming back to this thread to see what else you have added Paul. I must say that those latest pictures are stunning, what a great idea.

Martin

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Does the hollow handle shift the point of balance forward ?

I'd of thought that would be useful for 'thrashing' and heavy cutting

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE