My take on a frontier stove! (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesc76

Dec 13, 2010
Nottingham
I'm not sure but, MAW might mean something like this sort of thing

http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/our-woodburners-hand-made-devon

to force the unburnt fuel to circulate and re burn before heading up the lum

Ahh thant make sense I'm sure i can add something like that to the firebox tho with it welded up all ready might be fun!

Just ordered the flu (exhaust pipe) for it having the ends opened up so it will all slot together with ease!

jamesc76

Dec 13, 2010
Nottingham
Not sure on the weight will have to find out!

Did a load more work on the stove today, made the flu connector and a guard that clips onto the front to stop any ash or small bits rolling out once the door is open.

999135_10151812366281401_685885303_n.jpg

1545022_10151812366306401_538943449_n.jpg

The couldn't wait any longer and thought I should have a fire in it , just to test! Plus burn the paint of it

1538846_10151812540476401_229872446_n.jpg

Using an infrared thermometer the top plate was at 345deg c with just a small fire in it! tho looks like I does need a baffle as a lot of flame was going up the flu

Oldwoodyrock

Dec 10, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Looks great! Nice use of an old tank. It would burn wood more efficiently with a baffle about 25mm below the top, welded closed at the back (stove pipe end), and open towards the door, with a space of about 25~50mm back from the door. That would give room to clean it out if needed. I see you already have a baffle in place, so in place of cutting it out, drill a couple of holes in it to run a brush in for clean out.

I have a wee tent stove form the Four Dog Stove Company, their smallest one, and it will drive us out of the five meter diameter yurt at 0 degrees F. Your nice wee stove looks like it would put out much more heat than mine. You might have a look at the Four Dog Stove Company web site for ideas....you certainly have the skill to build stoves.
Woody

jamesc76

Dec 13, 2010
Nottingham
Looks great! Nice use of an old tank. It would burn wood more efficiently with a baffle about 25mm below the top, welded closed at the back (stove pipe end), and open towards the door, with a space of about 25~50mm back from the door. That would give room to clean it out if needed. I see you already have a baffle in place, so in place of cutting it out, drill a couple of holes in it to run a brush in for clean out.

I have a wee tent stove form the Four Dog Stove Company, their smallest one, and it will drive us out of the five meter diameter yurt at 0 degrees F. Your nice wee stove looks like it would put out much more heat than mine. You might have a look at the Four Dog Stove Company web site for ideas....you certainly have the skill to build stoves.
Woody

im not sure what you mean in the first part ???? cheers for the compliment !

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
If you were using a flat bottomed kettle for boiling up water, where would you put the kettle once you had boiled the water? is there a spot cool enough not to boil it dry?

jamesc76

Dec 13, 2010
Nottingham
No the front was about 190 deg so would probs keep it boiling, but I made it more for tent heating and some cooking on when I go away in my camper van to vw shows and meets tho if needed could easily make a pot stand to sit on the hot plate to raise it if needed

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
propper propper skills, You must be very proud. Nice quality manufacture, I take my hat off to you.

What does it weigh
how does the flue work
how thick was the gas bottle

jamesc76

Dec 13, 2010
Nottingham
Well its finally finished, made a bafffle under the flu to stop a lot of flame shooting up it. Painted it with hammerite high heat paint, luckily tho the flu is stainless steel so that can happily turn blues/ purples/ straw colours on its own.

580589_10151814116896401_1740354118_n.jpg

I set a small fire in it to cure the paint off, this was after 5-10 mins

1505165_10151814116826401_2054710171_n.jpg

Whilst was waiting for the fire to die down so I could pack it away it started to rain so knocked up a quick cap for the flu, one that has legs on it so can be fitted from the start!

I haven't weighed it yet but over all its not to heave I would say between 10 and 15 kilo max, I used as much scrap as I could the steel for the top is 2.5mm plate out of a skip the few nuts and bolts I used I have had for a while, so the only think I have to buy is the flu and the paint, all in it came out at £27.40, a lot cheaper than the £140 for a frontier stove!

Cheers for all the kind words!

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
That looks great. Is there a big difference with the baffle plate in?

Should probably see less smoke as it should be burned in the main chamber.

Thanks again.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I'm not sure if the baffle will slow down the draw up the lum, but once it's up to temp it should((or I would think) it will burn less smokey.

Anyway, it looks like a keeper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE