My solution for sewing paracord to fabric

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Wanting to make some bunting with some fabric samples I've obtained - thought I could sew them to cord instead of cotton tape but holding it in place under the needle is too difficult with the normal foot. A cording/piping foot holds the cord out of the way and would allow the flags to slide, so I designed and made this (another practical use for a 3D printer - Aldi selling them again too):

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3228630

As you can see from the photos in the link enough it works very well. Sure there will be some other applications for it

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
PM me your address and I can post the unfinished parts - you need to clean the supports off and give it a bit of a sand. I use PETG and it normally sands beautifully. My first one snapped where the fixing screw goes because it was a bit tight but the second one held up OK.

Will fit most domestic vintage machines (low shank)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'd been wondering for a good couple of years when the first use of 3D printing would appear here, and what better example of the usefullness of the tech. than this?

Did you do this with an Aldi machine or something more sophisticated?

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
It’s more or less identical to the one that Aldi sold a couple of years ago. Their current one might be slightly better but I’ve upgraded my firmware and some hardware bits to improve mine. If you had one you’d think of applications for it - I find the design work really fun. I use OpenSCAD which is free

Reactions: Macaroon

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
https://www.aldi.co.uk/3d-printer

I upgraded the firmware which allows me to run at higher temperatures (for Nylon and PETG) but for that I needed an all metal hotend - I initially bought an expensive one but frankly the cheap ones from China are just as good. It's also well worth spending £30 or so on a Raspberry Pi to run OctoPrint - makes remote monitoring effortless (ironically not for me as my workshop is too far from the house to be connected).

Would be pretty easy to print some Canadian buttons - you can buy olive green filament. The buttons don't appear to be an easy thing to buy - at least not at a price I'd be willing to pay. I'll give it a go in the orange to see how strong they are

Last edited:
Reactions: MrEd

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Now printing one with a deeper groove which should let me sew 2 pieces of cord to each other (for making a round drive belt)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE