my second Sheath, a scandi style one

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey guys as some of you already told me, you guys know who you are ^^
Once you get the bug you'd better prepare and thus I couldnt stop myself from making another Sheath
I wanted to make a Scandi style sheath this time,
This is just the start and I still need to add a belt-loop or perhaps something else if anyone might have an awesome idea like a mystery braided beltloop or something
Here is the progress from 4 days ago, had some problem with the camera ^^
already trimmed the excess and burnished the leather on the out-sticking parts

DSC06232.jpg

DSC06236.jpg

And here is after the wetforming

DSC06240.jpg

DSC06243.jpg

DSC06242.jpg

I also added a simple graph on the front, but those pics will be in tomorrow
So if you have any cool ideas for a fancy beltloop and willing to share them, please do so I would be honered to execute your ideas.
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Yeah good pointer there Alf, I used the 3 mm thick leather, only because I still had it lying around and as some of the people here said, once you get the bug you can stop it ^^, and to be perfectly honest other then the awkward sweep it has to make at the stitched end, I really kinda like the thickness, so it was kinda a happy accident. though I will be using thinner leather in the future I think ;)
and those examples look superb, great tutorial too thanks for those links
Yours sincerely a grateful Ruud

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks Hamish I'm trying to learn as fast as possible ^^ hoping to make my self so moccasins on the Premoot yet perhaps that is still a bit on the high league ^^. Hugo thanks for the comment I really like to do such a style sheath and they are very low cost leather wise so I think I will make these types more often in the future, it certainly wasnt a one timer ;). Alf superb you seem like a kind sharing man, I really like your attitude thumbs up for being alive with us ^^.
And thanks for the positivism Danny appreciated ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hereby the promissed update, the figure I inscribed was kind of based on a celtic symbol I used I while ago, meaning fire/ romance and passion it was like a v shaped sign, but what I actually did here was just sharpen en blunt a wooden splitting wedge and if you look carefully you can see all the sides have the same length and thus this kinda lovable sign was created, I would love for it to have a deeper meaning though.

DSC06248.jpg

You can see the burnished leather parting on the end, is there something I didnt do correctly or is this a side effect from using 3mm thick leather or should I have thinned the leather on the joining parts, any tips about that cause I would like to keep it a solid smooth edge.
DSC06257.jpg

DSC06252.jpg

DSC06260.jpg

I kinda slipped on the one side with my wedge pressing in the symbol, and thus the line are followed through after the lower tip, I mirrored this a little with the kinda fading lines, hoping it would disguise it a little, learning from my mistakes ^^
now it is only to add a Belt loop, and I think I'm going with a mystery braid, just something I would like to try
The knife I was making the sheath for is by the way a Mora 137, my starter knife and thus it deserved a new jacket.

Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Here is the final result, it has bin a bit long but here it is the final result with the mystery braid belt loop.
Tell me guys what you think and please give me some tips on how to do the braid better cause it doesnt look to good.
DSC06365.jpg

DSC06370.jpg

DSC06368.jpg

DSC06367.jpg

The mystery braid looks pretty rough and edgy, Also one mistake I made was the length of the pieces as it was just not enough to make a double mystery braid, as I only got one pass.
Yours sincerely Ruud

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Nicley done mate good job.
Just be wary of other people putting the knife back in the sheath, if the stop does not work they push the blade through the sheath. That depends on the stiffness of it but it certainly looks good.
You can get the leather to wet mould better a small wood plane or skiver will do the job.

The gap on the back is not unusual. Just dampen the seam a little and burnish it and push into the shape you want and you can get it work I have done it before.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks guys and there will be many following this one ^^, so who is bringing some old leatherworking equipment for sale to the moot ^^
And I hope to have given you some cool ideas, I also liekt he scandi like sheathes where they have some kind of a tail if you know what I mean perhaps something cool too?
Like this cool one from Lee,
5911925990_fc586aece5.jpg

or this :
DSCF1804.jpg

Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks Mors, I did the tooling with the smoothed of end of a wedge ^^,
I kinda polished it a little with some 240 grit sandpaper and then pressed it in as the leather was wet with the knife in the sheath
as you can see every line piece is exactly the same length and now you know why ^^
Yours sincerely Ruud

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
And yes If i would have the Cash I would definitely go for one of Alf his suggestions those links always make me smile ^^
Thanks Alf
Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE