My probably annual winter jacket recommendation thread!!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
For possibly the last two or three winters I have been thinking about getting a warm jacket to wear when walking the dog, taking junior to football matches and standing around watching and a few other uses too. I am not happy with my buffalo S6 shirt any more. I simply cannot get on with the cuffs curling out so the pile is sticking out to the elements any more. Grrr! I wanted one for so long but could not afford one then when I could justify it I don't like just one stupid feature that does not work for me.

So what is warm these days? I might be standing around or walking in it. I am not a type to want to hide in the woods with a stalker type colour scheme but I am not a type ot wear ultra bright colours neither. Most I own are blue, black or green with one orange paramo!! I am thinking a scandi parka type of thing like a Didrikson parka. I am also thinking something better and newer than my ancient Rab vapour-rise jacket but a little longer and warmer.

I prefer jackets these days. Oh and it will probably get used as a winter commute coat (train and bike commute) in the usual Cumbrian winter weather. I do not distinguish between weekend and weekday coats. I grab the best one for the conditions.

What is new and good out there? What is old and good out there but still readily available. I prefer civilian looking and know nothing about surplus (or where to go for them) so perhaps surplus isn't quite right for me. Oh, UK based (South Cumbria / Westmorland area).

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
My winter coat is a Buffalo SP6 or Belay. BUT
I do like and use a fleece a Rab double pile, high collar and warm.
Also find when I used a down coat it rained and I froze, just something to remember in our British weather

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
North Cumbria here and I tend to have a light fleece and then a shell garment (usually a Tilak Odin single layer Ventile smock which is good in the cold, less so when its chucking it down) to keep the breeze from blowing the warm air out of the fleece.
When it's properly wet it's just a gore tex jacket cos no matter what people on here say, single layer ventile just isn't waterproof enough.

When I'm at work I often have a shell jacket with fleece inner. Keeps the wind out, doesn't hold onto sawdust or shavings and is reasonably warm, when its properly raining its a hi Viz goretex jacket again. Possibly over the top if its very cold and windy
I absolutely can't be done with waterproof outer layers that have loads of insulation so they only have a thin lining.
The ones with loads of padding get called Gaffa jackets cos it's only the officewallas who need all that insulation, everyone else it usually to hot in them while working.

stonepark

Forager
Jun 28, 2013
Carse of Gowrie
I am not happy with my buffalo S6 shirt any more. I simply cannot get on with the cuffs curling out so the pile is sticking out to the elements any more. Grrr! I wanted one for so long but could not afford one then when I could justify it I don't like just one stupid feature that does not work for me.

You could try a fix on the S6, if the fibre pile is moving inside the sleeve.

Pull pile lining up towards armpits and about a couple inches above the cuff, run a stitch around the sleeve, parallel to the cuff.

This will act as a stop to the pile movement and should no longer get exposed to elements at wrist.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Why not just fix the cuffs of the shirt you already own?
How? It is a feature of the SP6 and other buffalo smocks due to the pile lining and the pertex outer not being fixed together except at the cuff. The whole thing just rolls over. I have read online that it happens to a lot of people. It is two different types or materials joined together loosely so there is no stopping it if it starts other than to bond the two layers which would stop it working so well I reckon. Perhaps a few stab stitches near the cuff perhaps at an inch and two inches from the cuff might reduce it but I am not so sure it would work.

IMHO buffalo is a design that has its day except for certain uses and users. There is better for most people. So unless you are really keen on it and can forgive the limitations it is more useful to look elsewhere. YMMV but I have written my SP6 off except for certain once or twice a year conditions (usually dog walks in exceptionally cold winter evenings).

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
This one has kept me warm in -15C with a string undershirt and a wool sweater under.
This one has a warm liner that can be taken off.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE