My patch of Powys (many pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Hi all,
I went for a bit of a wander with the dogs and my camera on Sunday and I thought I'd post some of the shots to see how much jealousy I can provoke :joke:
Not many people are familiar with this part of Wales, everyone knows Snowdonia to the north, Brecon to the south and Cadr Idris and Pumlumon/Plymlimon to the west but the hills round here are virtually tourist and walker free.

Pic 1

Looking south past my house (nearest roof) down the Trannon valley towards the village of Llawr y Glyn, the roof in the middle distance belongs to our nearest neighbour.
roof.jpg

Pic 2

From the field above our house looking northeast towards Bryn yr Oerfa the highest point locally at 460m.
Daisyfield.jpg

Pic 3

On a bit further again looking south
viewsouth1.jpg

Pic 4

A patched together panorama, I'm heading to the left of this picture, to a hill called Gamallt
panoramacopy.jpg

Pic 5

This is Gamallt 451m high and about 2km from home (as the raven flies).
Gamallt.jpg

Pic 6
I dont know how this got here, but i don't think it's driving out!
car2.jpg

Pics 7,8,9,10

These were all taken from the top of Gamallt, the village in no.7 is called Penforddlas or Staylittle (some of you may know the outdoor activities centre there) and the water in no.10 is the northern most arm of Llyn Clywedog our local reservoir (there are two small boats on the water which was as close as I came to seeing another person all afternoon)
GamallttoStaylittle.jpg

GamalltlookingSW.jpg

gamalltlookingS.jpg

GamalltlookingW.jpg

Pic 11

Heading back home I couldn't decide if these rocks were natural or a small cairn
Cairn.jpg

Pic 12

Wildlife seen included buzzards, ravens, meadow pipits and a few butterflies, but the only thing that kept still for a photo was this cuckoo flower
ladyflower.jpg

Thanks for looking

Steve

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
No Starbucks............how can you possibly survive in this barren land.

Lucky devil

Nice countryside, guess there are even babbling brooks in the bottom of those valleys to make it even more inhospitable.

Thanks for sharing, Pothunter.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
Shhh. Those of us living in mid Wales have a duty to keep very quiet about it in the hope nobody else notices. Powys is especially good.

Snowdonia and the Beacons - horribly overcrowded and full of trendy outdoor gear shops.

I can walk for a couple of hours between Cardiganshire and Powys and see nobody, hardly the wilderness but not bad.

Richard

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Great photos Steve
I was out with the Staylittle guys recently, on a DoE practice expedition, the group camped at the Clywedog sailing club.
We really must get this beer organised!

Rik - if you're going to be that close, I hope you're going to call in.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Staghound

Forager
Apr 14, 2008
Powys
www.mid-waleslogbuildings.co.uk
Nice countryside, guess there are even babbling brooks in the bottom of those valleys to make it even more inhospitable.

Do you mean dreadful things like this? :nana:

Stream2.jpg

(PS - a tip for stitched panoramas. Stick the camera on full manual so that each frame gets the same exposure and white balance. Makes the seems less obvious.)

Thanks for the tip I'll try that next time. :thanks:

CheeseMonster

Forager
Dec 11, 2006
Shropshire
Great pics, might have to get my car fuelled up for a semi- random drive to Wales this weekend or soon after, love it every time I go to Wales (must the welsh blood from my mother!)

Another hint for your panoramics, there is a Free (for personal use) program called autostitch that does all the hard work of lining the pictures up for you. The tripod and light exposure hints are good as well but I've had pretty good results from just taking by hand.

below is a picture taken last weekend on our wayfor a trip on the Welsh Highland railway for my dad's birthday. The first leg was of the train journey was absolutely stunning.

Note the black uneven border is due to me not realising I had the tripod on a slant! Doh! I would crop it but Adobe Elements is having a bad day.. But you can see how seemlessly it joins the pictures without having to worry (most of the time) about light exposure.(was comprised of 6 seperate pictures)

pano.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE