My ongoing fire drill battle!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Hey guys. After a time away from this I stumbled across one of my hearth boards in the cupboard when I was having a clear out and it's rekindled my need to master this art. My plan for this post is to talk through it, telling what I've learned so as when I do finally win others following suit will have something to inspire them (hopefully).

Today marked another of my many mistakes. When I first started I was putting far too much effort into my drilling too early on in the process. I didn't build up enough of a pile of dust to make an ember with and the result was I was knackered before I got enough of a pile to ignite. Youtube taught me a lot and I had another go, but today I learned the importance of using the right materials. My set consisted of a dry hearth of Leylandii, about 8mm thick, and a drill of elder around 10mm round and 500mm long. I picked the elder from the garden today and it felt dry enough, but it was a single year shoot that had died off. The outer hard layer was only a couple of mm's thick and the majority of the stem was pith. This has presented me with quite a problem...

I started off smoothly and bedded in the drill. Cut my notch, and for the first time I under cut it so it was wider at the bottom than the top. I'd read that this creates a little "cave" for the ember to grow in, and that worked very well. I then started off with the dust building. Calmly drilling and sitting in a relaxed position until the notch was full, then building up to quite a vigorous stroke which began to produce a good amount of smoke. It's by far the best I have managed so far, but then disaster. The drill started to stick. I do a phsical job so my grip and upper body strength isn't too shabby, but I just couldn't get the thing to turn. Disgusted with my predicament I gave up, and my nearly made ember faded to nothing. I think another five runs down the drill at full tilt would have done it as I was in two minds as to whether I had got it, but not quite.

On closer inspection of the board the outer layer of my drill had made it's way a good 5mm into the hearth, but in the centre of the hearth hole was what I can best describe as a spigot... The centre of the drill had worn away and the male/female joint that resulted was jamming solid so I could barely turn the drill.

I'm off out to find a piece of willow and will try that tomorrow. I'm not going to go crazy and kill my hands today - they feel fine for the moment but I don't think they'll take too kindly to a second attempt. That's my input for the day, and I am quite eagerly awaiting replies from more experienced folk that could further nudge me in the right direction. I'm so close now and getting to this stage was much harder than it needed to be. I really think the answer at the start is to read more and do less, as I've near passed out in the past and not got half as far as I did today. There really is no need for it!

Last edited:

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hey dude!
Now something I learned recently is that you need to make sure your drill is dry! (This makes better dust in my experience) Also, try tightening your cord that spins the bit. Another thing to watch for is the top of the drill. Make sure there is as little friction on the top as you are pushing down as you can. I have mine in a point that holds nicely in a slab of holly! Finally take off the 'shine' on the bottom rounded end of your drill, this will create better friction :) all my drills are made of hazel if you have any of that kicking around, might be worth a try?
Anyway I hope this helps, it's usually me asking for help!!

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Hi Tommy. I hadn't actually said in my first post, but it's the hand drill that I'm attempting to master. The tip about cutting the shine off of the drill is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that.

I plan to try some hazel and willow, although I've been busy at work and haven't found time to collect any yet. I did manage to grab a couple of lengths of less pithy elder today though, so will give that a go when it's dried out. I've had two solid days of digging post holes on a hill in the Cotswolds... smashing through rock with a bar has left my hands not really in the best shape for more abuse! I'll give them a rest over the weekend and hopefully try again next week.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Oh haha! Ok makes sense now! Yeah, the less shiney it is, the more friction you get :) apart from that Iv never attempted a hand drill before! Best of luck!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE