My old leather is bleeding dye

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
My old but much loved leather jacket is bleeding dye into the collar of anything I wear thats light in colour. When I say bleeding, its leaving black marks on my clothes. I thought it was muck at first so i scrubbed it with a soft brush and soft neutral soap but still the black was coming off, I had it cleaned properly and its still happening so i think its the actual colour rubbing off. Can i stop this happening, if so....how?
Thanks in advance guys.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
You say old, are you sure it isn't the actual surface of the leather that is 'crumbling' & leaving smudges on your clothes rather than dye ?.............I say that as it's rare that old leather starts to leach dye...................
Have you given it a good going over with a quality leather conditioner ?......also are you sure it's full grain leather & not top grain or some other coated stuff ?

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Looking closely, the colour is rubbing off. Its not crumbling as its still nice and smooth. I can start to see the original leather colour underneath. No idea what type of leather it is, label says 100% leather. I've had since the late nineties, i just like the jacket and wold like to keep it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE