my northstar lantern keeps catching fire!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 11, 2015
farnborough
Hi all.

I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light (haha) on my issue with a coleman northstar 2000 lantern.

I've owned the lantern for around a year now, bought second hand on ebay. Lantern has been faultless for the last year. Gets used almost every week for one thing or another.
I took it away on a camp last week. Again now major issues....until the final evening. I filled it up with coleman fuel (only been run on coleman fuel), then primed it as normal. Fired up and was fine. Then after around 2 minutes, the lantern hissed and stopped working. Fuel was seeming to leak out of the burner assembly onto the tank. Pretty lucky it went it to be honest.
So i thought there may have been a problem with either the valve or generator tube. So I've replaced both of these. Burnt on a new mantle, and thought I'd give it a go.
So fired it up, lit it with a match as per the instructions of the mantle..... so it lights as normal, then ignited the fuel which is still leaking back from the burner assembly tube!!!! Thought I'd solved it, but clearly not!
Managed to put it out before the tank went up (although was very very warm), and now im very scared of trying it again......

Has anyone else come across this issue? Everytime you pump up the pressure, open the valve, the fuel travels up and a small amount comes out where it is, but the majority comes out the bottom again. (clearly, not going to even attempt to light it again)...

Any information that anyone has on the issue would be great.

Aug 11, 2015
farnborough
Here are some photos. I know there is not a mantle on the lantern at the moment, but it shows where the fuel comes out of instantly.

It seems to come from the tube where should be drawn into the burner assembly. It comes out of the bottom as soon as the valve is opened.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not being off but are you sure that the generator tube change went well? Easy to cock it up, have done it myself over the years when changing them for folk. Could also be the pump' kaput, not as likely but does it get to pressure properly?

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE