My next knife

Jun 17, 2011
Sussex
I am looking for suggestions for my next bushcraft knife. I have a mora clipper at the mo which I like. So I think I want something with the following
a 4 inch blade or thereabouts
a largish handle as I have quite large paws
scandi grind?
carbon steel

Need suggestions to tangs and blade thickness. Not looking for a really expnsive buy either!

Any ideas

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
How about the Helle Temagemi, the Les Stroud, Survivorman knife? It has the Scandi grind, blade is 4.25 inches long, full tang and fairly large grip. Not a bad knife for the price. Bottom one in the pic. Also carbon steel and 3mm thick.

IMG_0444.jpg

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
why not get a blank from one of the makers on here and handle it yourself? you could probably get someone to make a blank fit for your specific grip for about the same price as one of the above off the shelf knives

just a thought

Dave

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
Take a look at the blades and knives made by Antti Mäkinen. He's a full-time blacksmith and he's the grandson of old school master Yrjö Puronvarsi.
http://www.yp-taonta.fi/Puukonterat/index.html
http://www.yp-taonta.fi/Valmiit Puukot/index.html

Being a blacksmith working only in the smithy (no ovens etc) he heat treats the blades in the forge, taking the cutting edge to about 60 HRC, leaving the sides soft and leaving the tangs out of the HT. The handles are about 12-13 cm long and made out of rowan or oak; all the blades are rivetted. The sheaths are made by Kari Rämäkkö and are quite good.

Jun 17, 2011
Sussex
Thanks for the advice.
The survivorman knife looks fab but will need to save up. The condor looks good and sturdy. Is a 4mm width blade an advantage?

Enzo trapper looks good too.

So much choice

Cheers

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I sort of prefer a 3mm blade, lighter and still more than strong enough. I also can recommend Josh's choice of an Enzo Trapper. I made one in D2 from a kit, easy to do and worth the price. Less than 50 Pounds I would say. The Temagami is longer by a half inch and also costs more. The Condor may be ok, never handled one. There is some pride in finishing one youself, like the Enzo kits. Cheers!

S

Something In The Woodshed

Rather than 'large paws' I have long fingers and therefore prefer a nice palm swell. The Enzo Trapper is excellent but I personally find the handle a little too slim. I solved this problem early on by getting the Trapper in kit form and then adding by own wood which was thicker than the one provided in the kit. Its nice making a handle to fit your own hand which is why I started doing my own a while back.
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE