My new (old) toy

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Just got this:

$(KGrHqF,!l0E2DwP)(v!BNu)5r!dW!~~0_12.JPG

It's umpteen years old and took me a while to set up but when I got it going it maneged to sew 6 layers of 15oz canvas with no trouble at all. Lovely to use so I couldn't resist getting out my pattern for a flat "canoe" pack (HERE) and starting to knock one up. (Probably put it in the makers' market when it's done, if anyone is interested).

Thanks to the folks who offered me advice on the type on machine I needed. SWMBO is especially delighted as I am not now wrecking her domestic machine on heavy canvas and leather. (Not sewn leather yet on it but I'll have a go when I get the right needles.)

On the look out for interesting projects, now. I've got a belgian army blamket that would make a great bush shirt...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Very similar to mine!
It will tackle clothing grade leathers fine - even Biker Leathers!
My Avatar is of me wearing a Blanket Hoodie I made on such a machine.
Great tools - have fun!

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I sew by hand, so my projects are rather limited but with a beauty like that a whole new world opens up....as John said, have fun...........
I'm a little embarassed, not sure if it's OK, chaps discussing sewing machines !

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I sew by hand, so my projects are rather limited but with a beauty like that a whole new world opens up....as John said, have fun...........
I'm a little embarassed, not sure if it's OK, chaps discussing sewing machines !

I have a diploma in Fashion Design - and designed for Craghoppers for a while (no - none of the BG stuff) I also studied Judo and Karate amongst other arts - anyone wants to say I cant discuss sewing machines can do it to my face :D

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Lots of men in the military (Parachute Riggers) using them, add to that automobile upholsterers and saddlers. I think it's OK.

dancan

Nomad
Sep 29, 2007
Nova Scotia Canada

I have discount cards at two fabric stores ,own three different sewing machines and own 12 chainsaws .

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Looks like a right beast! Is it electric or man powered? I could have done with one of these on many ocassions!

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Well, here is a big "wussie" moment for y'all...I learned to sew on a Singer very much like that. In the instructionally encircled arms of my late mother, when I was a young pup! Nice sewing machine, Kerne! Looks as though you have all of the extra feet and bobbins that go with it.

Fortunately, you have brought a happy tear to my eye for the memories, as me and mom were close. Thank you!

Gordy

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I have a 1980's Singer with a hand crank-that way there's no danger of sewing faster than my brain can keep up. Great for tarps, pouches and so on.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Nice machine Kerne , the older ones are better built nd the motors have more power , keep it cleaned and lubed .

I am on the lookout for the Singer Service manual which, I believe, is out there on the 'net somewhere...

Looks like a right beast! Is it electric or man powered? I could have done with one of these on many ocassions!

It is electric powered. I had to adjust the belt tension a little to get it going but now it works a treat.

Fortunately, you have brought a happy tear to my eye for the memories, as me and mom were close. Thank you!

Happy to be of service, Gordy.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I went to an all-boys grammar school, but we all still had compulsory cooking and sewing lessons. I've always had a sewing machine.
Maybe we should start a chaps' sewing group..?

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I went to an all-boys grammar school, but we all still had compulsory cooking and sewing lessons. I've always had a sewing machine.
Maybe we should start a chaps' sewing group..?

Great idea - I've always thought there is a market for a "Sewing for Blokes" book where you get instruction on making useful kit. All the books I use to learn new techniques are full of fluffy pink things.

I have had to teach some Textiles Technology ("Needlework" in old money) for the last two years and the contrast between the things I make and the things the two female teachers in the department make is immense - they do, however, have much more well-developed skills than I do. Finding "appropriate" projects with which to acquire these skills is hard. I don't need lacy cushions, frilly quilts or alluring evening gowns!

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I have a machine that I bought new 25 years ago.
I made curtains with it in our old place and some skirts for SHMBO, apart from that it is sitting waiting for me to use again.
I was looking at some canvas tarp stuff to make some covers for garden furniture and my anvil.
And to be honest I have forgotten how to use it, mind you practice makes perfect.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great idea - I've always thought there is a market for a "Sewing for Blokes" book where you get instruction on making useful kit. .

. Finding "appropriate" projects with which to acquire these skills is hard. I don't need lacy cushions, frilly quilts or alluring evening gowns!

I could do you bulk discount on copies of my DIY bushcrafting equipment book ......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE