My new meths stove

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive been promising myself that i would get to the garage since before Christmas to have a go at putting my buffalo horn fore steels together but somehow i got side tracked on arrival at the workbench and ended up playing at meths stove production. they are similar to the the white box / Minibull stoves as its made from one piece aluminium beer bottles. Ive wanted one for ages but refused to pay the silly money they want to bring in from over the pond.

I get a boil time for 500ml in my gelert kettle of 5-6 mins. I think ill finally be able to banish my pop can stove to a shelf and shove this in my bag.

its my first bit of DIY kit so im really chuffed with it.

Cheers
Paul

1736052c.jpg

ce223c94.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
its a premium cider bottle mate. my brother in law works on the bins so i asked him to keep an eye out for bud light style bottles. cant remember the brand. will check the bin for the offcuts tomorrow and post up.

Globetrotter.uk

Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
That's the type I'm planning on making soon. Morrisons sell the bottles with cider in them. I just need to buy a vice to help with the rolled edge effect.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Thanks, do you have a pic of the inside to show us how large your fuel feed holes are. Also how high is it bottom to top and how high are the holes?

Sorry for all the questions just I have a suitable bottle and dont want to waste it by messing it up!

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
the feed holes are 4mm deep and the width of a file. overall stove height is about 2 inch and the jets are just over a cm from the top edge. i did all the cutting by eye rather than precise measuring. just have a search on you tube and there are plenty of instructionals.

92fe7783.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
this link should help. cut the bottom off a bottle at about an inch then use a full beer bottle inserted to flare it out. this bottom piece will then fit over the top of your stove to roll it in a vice or arbour press. if i show you a picture of mine it will just look like the bottom inch of a bottle. this explains the theory

http://zenstoves.net/Dilator.htm

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
this link should help. cut the bottom off a bottle at about an inch then use a full beer bottle inserted to flare it out. this bottom piece will then fit over the top of your stove to roll it in a vice or arbour press. if i show you a picture of mine it will just look like the bottom inch of a bottle. this explains the theory

http://zenstoves.net/Dilator.htm

I've used that method for pop can stoves but I'm struggling to work out how you use it to roll the bottle inwards like you have.

It was a late one last night so it's probably not clicked yet :)

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
ok so the stove is two pieces, the neck of the bottle is inverted and put into the bottom of the bottle. the neck part is about 8mm shorter than the bottom piece. this leaves a lip all the way round the inner piece. the tool is then placed over the top and the whole lot is pressed. very poor picture below done quickly in paint.

dilator.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
just had a go at a full roll with a fabreeze bottle. turned out very messy on the inside but the stove actually works perfectly. I think this shows the limitations without proper tooling.

cafdbf1b.jpg

f3637d8f.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE