My new kukri sheath

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
A few weeks ago a got a panawal raw kukri from nepal which ive been using extensivley in the garden over the weekend.

Anyway,yesterday i decided to get rid of the original sheath and make my own and here it is

933867fb66c57d7f5051bf3f1687d6cc.jpg
afcfdc5275f8f008375d5bf5350383c1.jpg
22445b989b8de4881a5027af1bd738e6.jpg
92b9bf9c72af5ed814d99f34a2fc79de.jpg
3353c910e5c86c83473d9c9c1c7993a0.jpg

Thanks for looking

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
That's really nice. Did yours come with the karda and chakma? I still use the original sheath with my kuk and there are slots of the (largely useless) karda and chakma, which just makes the whole thing really bulky!

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
That's really nice. Did yours come with the karda and chakma? I still use the original sheath with my kuk and there are slots of the (largely useless) karda and chakma, which just makes the whole thing really bulky!

yeah it came with them. Ive lost the steel already in wales last week but still have the small knife. I wish id put the knife on it somewhere now but it was an afterthought and id have to take it all apart to put it where i want it. Oh well

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That looks really nice! The file sheath on the back is brilliant too, what your thoughts on the kuk so far?

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
That looks really nice! The file sheath on the back is brilliant too, what your thoughts on the kuk so far?

I like it. I gave it a good work out this weekend and it was a pleasure to use. I was in two minds at first as i do like my axes.

If it replaces my axe is yet to be decided. Obviously it will depend on the task in hand too.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
like it

The luckylee sheath that came with the nessmuk I bought off johnyboy on here is in the same style
I'd never had a sheath like that before and It really cuts down on bulk for a curved blade. A nice elegant solution I think

the total opposite of the canvas billhook sheath I made a few years ago...its like a lop sided triangle, about 10" at the bottom tapering to 4" across the top. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a really nice piece of work that, really should get a new sheath for my old kukri. Looks really solid. Just remember your battle cry when you attack the garden with it. ‘Jai Mahakali, Ayo Gorkhali!’ (‘Victory to goddess Mahakali, the Gurkhas are here!').

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
I like it. I gave it a good work out this weekend and it was a pleasure to use. I was in two minds at first as i do like my axes.

If it replaces my axe is yet to be decided. Obviously it will depend on the task in hand too.

Mine lives next to the wood burner for batoning and the like.
I used to use it as a replacement for my golock for general bushy stuff but to be honest the kukhri is less effective for chopping/batoning etc than an axe and the karda is no replacement for a good scandi bush blade.
If i was clearing lots of bush then it'd be ideal but for uk woodland stuff it's a jack of all trades and master of none. (Do love it though!)

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
like it

The luckylee sheath that came with the nessmuk I bought off johnyboy on here is in the same style
I'd never had a sheath like that before and It really cuts down on bulk for a curved blade. A nice elegant solution I think

the total opposite of the canvas billhook sheath I made a few years ago...its like a lop sided triangle, about 10" at the bottom tapering to 4" across the top. :)

I had a lucky lee sheath for a prevous kukri i had. More or less the design sheath and it works very well with this style knife.

Obviously his a million times better

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
That's a really nice piece of work that, really should get a new sheath for my old kukri. Looks really solid. Just remember your battle cry when you attack the garden with it. ‘Jai Mahakali, Ayo Gorkhali!’ (‘Victory to goddess Mahakali, the Gurkhas are here!').

I was working on my war cry, the wife decided it was time to leave the house for a while. Ha

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Mine lives next to the wood burner for batoning and the like.
I used to use it as a replacement for my golock for general bushy stuff but to be honest the kukhri is less effective for chopping/batoning etc than an axe and the karda is no replacement for a good scandi bush blade.
If i was clearing lots of bush then it'd be ideal but for uk woodland stuff it's a jack of all trades and master of none. (Do love it though!)

I completey agree with u there. It just feels right in the hand.

I think im still an axe man tho tbh

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Very nice looking sheath for a nice knife.:)
Have you thought about making a leather fob style handle for your file though, to stop the tang catching on you and give a bit of protection to your hand in use?

Rob.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE