My new knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
Hey guys and gals just got a new knife in its a cold steel bushman yes it is a bigger knife and i prob didnt need such a big knife but i got it at a very good price and have a thew good ideas to do with it

so this is kind of a review + pictures of mods ect

so any ways the bushman is a very nice weighted blade its not to heavy but its not ultra light splits wood like an axe also takes care of all the things i need it to do such as wood prep making tent pegs and trying to carve spoons :p

the knife comes as a solid one peice of carbon steel very very robust but the blade is not as hard as useall think its got a hardness of around 53 but this is a good thing as i can easly keep it sharp it doesnt chip very easy seems to just roll if anything and as its a hollow handle it can be made into a temp spear for hunting in the woods or in a survival situation i know its very unlikly but you never know i see it as a good feature also works well for reaching high up fruits or foods you may want to get at

as the handle is metal and there is no finger guard or anything to stop your hand from slipping down the blade i have wraped the handle in waxed string and it seems to work really really well great grip makes it look more of a bush crafty knife and stops the rolling when chopping or spliting

also being a hollow handle gave me some ideas of storage so i am in the prosess of getting a old wine rubber bung to cut to size and block the bottum up this can then be used as storage it has ample room for a firesteel some cotten wool balls a wire snare or 2 a water bag and some tabs

the sheath has also got a good sized pouch on the front that can fit alot of items in

my only little problem is the sheath is huge double the width of the knife this gives a good front storage pocket but is sometime a pain when on your belt is made from a synthetic material is heavey duty and will last well

if i can fit all i want in the handle i am going to attempt to make my own leather sheath for it

heres the spec on the knife

Weight 9.8oz 0.28kg
Blade Thickness 0.08" 2.5mm
Blade Length 7" 17.8cm
Handle Details Hollow
Steel SK-5 High Carbon
Overall 12¼" 31.1cm
Sheath Cordura

ok now for some pictures guys

please excuse typos and spelling it late dark and im tired :p

cheers
Darren

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You'd think they'd make use of that hollow handle themselves and thread the inside for a proper screw cap. I like the string wrapping - would be useful in a survival situation to have all that cord available. Looks like a useful survival tool, though and should stand some abuse :)

SpareX

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2012
Kent
You'd think they'd make use of that hollow handle themselves and thread the inside for a proper screw cap. I like the string wrapping - would be useful in a survival situation to have all that cord available. Looks like a useful survival tool, though and should stand some abuse :)

yeah thats an idea i could thread it and make a small screw cap good idea spandit but i am surprised cold steel dont do this

you will see it at the weekend i need to get some kind of knife sharponer to keep it sharp never really sharponed knifes before i got an oil stone that i use to sharpen tools but i have no way of keeping the angle right i had ago but i think i made it blunter lol if thats even possible maybe someone at the weekend meet will have one and can show me how to sharpen this right

thanks again spandit

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I didn't realise until looking at the knife on the HH site that it was open at both ends.

Sharpening is a dark art but there'll be plenty of advice available at the weekend

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE