My new hammock setup - whoopie...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I thought this might be of interest to some of you.

I have been experimenting with my hammock setup and seem to have finally settled on this solution.

Homemade whoopie slings, Marlin spike and a neat little buckle i found to hang from. Rap ring to act as a drip trap.

This setup has drastically reduces my pack weight :)

IMG_0176.jpg

This buckle idea was "borrowed" from Opie over on the hammock forum.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0177.jpg

All packs down pretty small:

IMG_0183.jpg

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Nice setup, and good clear pics. :)

Whoopie slings are great.

Where did you get the clip from? It looks very light. (and pink)

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Could someone explain what the Whoopie does?

Yeah, yeah, I know it makes fart noises. But what else does it do?

Does that thin piece of para really hold your weight? Especially as I understand the principle, that half of it runs through the inside of the other. Or have I got this horribly wrong?

Jul 15, 2010
Sherwood Forest
Must be all this horrible grey weather we've been having.

As it happens I've just finished putting some homemade whoopie slings on my hammock too.

Just need to get it all hung now to test the whoopie slings,
and also get the fitting for my UQ now I've got some drip rings to hang it from (both used same rings)

A Cracking job well done :35:

I like the clip looks similar to the dutch clips I keep seeing

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Could someone explain what the Whoopie does?

Yeah, yeah, I know it makes fart noises. But what else does it do?

Does that thin piece of para really hold your weight? Especially as I understand the principle, that half of it runs through the inside of the other. Or have I got this horribly wrong?

The Whoopie is a spliced hollow braid adjustable line, usually made out something like Dyneema - much stronger than paracord. I usually use 2.5mm Marlow Excel D12 or similar. The idea is it removes some of the knot work associated with hammocks. I'm still in two minds as to whether it's beneficial yet or not. As Trunks says, it can reduce pack weight for long suspension runs which is as good an argument as any.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice one James, good looking setup

Good on you for having a crack at the whoopies, I went for the easy option and ordered mine from over the pond :)

Just spent seven straight nights hanging on mine without any probs

EdS

if you've got a sewn loop (or knotted) in the tree strop - why not ditch the buckle and just thread it through itself, a few grams saved.

Out of interest if you are using webbing tree strops how much weight do you save over just having 5m of webbing? I've been playing with 10mm webbing and it seems to work.

Hetzen

Forager
Feb 5, 2009
West London
Thank you DD for explaining that. I assume the hollow braid has some of the twine thread through it that you pull to tension.

Nice set up Trunk, sorry, forgot to mention.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
IMG_0176.jpg

This buckle snapped today whilst out for a walk - much to the hilarity of the assembled masses :eek:

So this buckle is not up to the job :( back to the biner, or in-fact just threading it through the loop.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Dutch Clips are good James, you can get them from Jacks r Better (currently out of stock) and sometimes from the hammockforums store. Maybe drop Dutch a PM and see if he'll send you a pair.

If you decide to go for some drop me a PM as I might want some more bits and we can share the postage.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Cheers Rich, i also like the look of Dutch's biner, hmmmm shared postage - did somebody say warbonnet blackbird....

I'll have a butchers and get back to you if that's ok.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
P.s.

I have now tweeked this setup.

Having the rap ring in made the whole span just too long. They were only on to act as a drip trap anyway, so i have removed them & larksheaded the whoopie directly through the end of the hammock - shortened the span be about 1.5 feet :)

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
IMG_0176.jpg

This buckle snapped today whilst out for a walk - much to the hilarity of the assembled masses :eek:

So this buckle is not up to the job :( back to the biner, or in-fact just threading it through the loop.

Can you do it at Middlewood Trunksy? It was extremely funny!!

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Could replace the red buckle with a Nano 23 biner if you don't fancy getting a dutch clip. About as lightweight as you can go with a carabiner

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You could swap your clip for one of these...http://www.loopblock.com/docs/Loop%20Shackles.pdf

They are dead easy to make, and weigh about the same as gnats underpants.

Edit; BTW, the weight limits for these on this page are way too low. Loop shackles are rated at 175% of the lines strength-my 2mm dyneema shackles are safe to over 1.5 tons which is plenty.

Last edited:

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Teepee, you must be a mind reader. I have just made four tonight, a slightly different design though - i can put up a pic if you want.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE