my musical resolution....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elessar

Dec 11, 2007
Essex
As a new years resolution I decided that I wanted to start playing a musical instrument....back when I was a lot younger than I am now I used to have piano lessons until my teacher informed my mother that I was "to stupid" (those were the exact words) anyway, I want to do this off my own back! And this time, I choose the instrument!

I chose to learn the pan pipes or pan flute, I have always dreamed of being able to play and I have no idea were the interest stems from....however:

I don't have any pan pipes and can't find anywhere to purchase some...... (That is within the UK I found plenty state-side).

Does anybody play or know of any places from which I can obtain the instrument or even some information??

Thank you and happy New Year....

J

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I chose to learn the pan pipes or pan flute, I have always dreamed of being able to play and I have no idea were the interest stems from....however:

J

Good luck mate I have the same feeling but I chose to play the banjo. I got one a while back and still cant play it but I can knock out a few tunes (very badly) and it feels great when I do, so dont loose heart when it gets hard. Stuff them play for yourself and dont forget to have fun.
Greg

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Re TallMikeM's post, there is a Hobgoblin store in Crawley, West Sussex where I work.

I recently bought my daughters fifte from there, they were a little pricey but they knew their stuff.

I know nothing of Pan Pipes, apart from the Mexican fella's I sometimes see in Guildford, but I'll gladly do a fly by for you if you need a price check etc.

Pib

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As I have no lefthand/righthand co-ordination and zero sense of rythm I have always been frustrated in my desire to learn any musical instrument.
I have however helped cut a flute out of bamboo for one of my exped team members. OK it was not of perfect tone - or tuning- but the lass got a pleasant enogh tune out of it.
Cutting the mouthpiece was the trickiest bit!
I have also carved "elf whistles" out of elder and made a stag antler whistle or two but as they are mono notes I don't think they rate as musical instruments or the effect of my blowing them "musical"!
I wish you well in you resolution to become a musician - I am envious as all get out!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
As I have no lefthand/righthand co-ordination and zero sense of rythm I have always been frustrated in my desire to learn any musical instrument.
I have however helped cut a flute out of bamboo for one of my exped team members. OK it was not of perfect tone - or tuning- but the lass got a pleasant enogh tune out of it.
I have also carved "elf whistles" out of elder and made a stag antler whistle or two but as they are mono notes I don't think they rate as musical instruments or the effect of my blowing them "musical"!
I wish you well in you resolution to become a musician - I am envious as all get out!

How about the Jewish, or mouth, harp John!:) BY the way I've seen Pan pipes inOxfam shops.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh

Interesting - I've tried making both flutes and whistles (open, tuned whistles, like a tinwhistle, not closed like a referee's whistle) from elder without any success whatsoever - not even a suggestion of a note. Any hints as to what I may be doing wrong? It's definitely the mouthpiece that's the issue... Maybe in a different thread or by PM, to avoid further hijacking this one.

Back on topic, Hobgoblin have a very good rep. Probably the best retailer in Britain for folkies. Learning a musical instrument is hard, but no harder than learning any other complex skill. Most people just get put off in school, which is a great shame. Don't underestimate it, and don't expect rapid results. Just keep plugging away and you'll get there in the end. Learning to listen properly is a big part of it.

I firmly believe that everyone (with the exception of the tiny minority who are genuinely amusical) can learn to either play an instrument or sing. I believe that everyone should, too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I keep looking at harmonicas on ebay but so far I`ve resisted, i quite fancy sitting by the fire rattling a few tunes off. A bit Les Stroud perhaps but should be good fun nonetheless.

Rich

Elessar

Dec 11, 2007
Essex
Thanks for the infomation and the words of encouragment people, it means alot to me.

Hobgoblin looks like a good place to start...

pibbleb i will have to take you up on your offer if thats cool with you, i will PM you with some questions...

J

bothyman

Settler
Nov 19, 2003
Sutherland. Scotland.
. Most people just get put off in school, which is a great shame. Don't underestimate it, and don't expect rapid results. Just keep plugging away and you'll get there in the end.

I firmly believe that everyone (with the exception of the tiny minority who are genuinely amusical) can learn to either play an instrument or sing. I believe that everyone should, too.

I've always wanted to play a musical instrument, but as you say I was put off at School.

I had the usual guitar which did the rounds and put it down to dumb fingers, also had a penny whistle gave up but then I was trying to learn on my own.

You Tube is good for free lessons.

Good Shop here >> http://www.knockonwood.co.uk/index.asp

Maybe I'm one of that tiny minority you mention.:rolleyes:

MickT

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Good luck in your search!
I'm trying to learn more tunes on the penny whistle, I can get the two octaves now, but the folky traditional sngs are fast and complicated... :)

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Pan pipes are cool, I've come close to buying a set a few times but I doubt I'd play them after a while or never if I can't get them to make a sound. I chose to play the ocarina though and still play today though I'm not nearly as good as I should be for the amount of time I've been playing. They're usually made of clay which breaks easily in the woods but there are also wooden ones around, too bad they're over $350 american... What you could do for pan pipes though which would also be bushcrafty is make them. If you have any horsetail or something around you could follow this: http://wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/music/s_pan_flute/index.html I've never tried it myself but it looks like a good bushcrafty instrument to make.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE