My moose knife and mucked up knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Here's two more knifes i did over the holidays designed by me the first one i call my moose knife cos it looks a bit like a moose strong and rugged. the blade made by me from 01 carbon steel. the second one i call my mucked up knife also 01 carbon steel with African black wood handles the end off the handle should of had a hole for a lanyard but in my hast i forgot and squashed it in the vise :eek: so i made the best off a bad thing and re shaped the end of handle both knifes still need bit moor detailed finishing know Ive got to make the sheathes . thanks for looking regards

stanley
moose knife
Me121.jpg

Me122.jpg

Me123.jpg

mucked up knife
Me118.jpg

Me119.jpg

Me120.jpg

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Nice job

Is it as easy to get that kind of grind as it is a scandi? Any tips?

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to make myself another knife, possibly two;

My current user handles really well most of the time and has a similar shaped blabe to the one in your first pic. The reason for making another (apart from the fun of it) is; the blade on my knife is 4" long, which I'm sure people will say is ample, but I keep finding it's not quite long enough so I'm thinking along the lines of either a 5-5.5" blade or a 3.5-4" and a 6"monster.

So, looking around, I like the idea of the R.A.T. 3 and the RAT 7, so I'd probably make similar (a matched pair), possibly with a grind like yours above or, more likely a simple scandi.

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
Nice job

Is it as easy to get that kind of grind as it is a scandi? Any tips?

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to make myself another knife, possibly two;

My current user handles really well most of the time and has a similar shaped blabe to the one in your first pic. The reason for making another (apart from the fun of it) is; the blade on my knife is 4" long, which I'm sure people will say is ample, but I keep finding it's not quite long enough so I'm thinking along the lines of either a 5-5.5" blade or a 3.5-4" and a 6"monster.

So, looking around, I like the idea of the R.A.T. 3 and the RAT 7, so I'd probably make similar (a matched pair), possibly with a grind like yours above or, more likely a simple scandi.

Hi i do all my grinding with either a hand grinder bench grinder or hand files I've had years off practise with a hand grinder so i can do most off the work OK Ive also made a rig up for some off the blades Ive done witch work very well using hand files i will be posting two more knifes on new threads in the next couple off days what i have done with this rig. i like to design my own knives blades.thay very in length between 4-5 inches you should be fine stanley :D

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I've altered a bench (disc & belt) sander to do bevels (as instructed by bernie) but haven't tried shallow grinds like that yet.

The main time I need an extra bit of length in the blade is for battening firewood (splitting) so maybe 5.5 to 6" would be the ideal for me - I too design my own blades.

My dilema now is whether to attempt a shallow grind like yours above or stick with a scandi which I know I can do.

stanley lake

Forager
May 15, 2007
NORTH EAST
I've altered a bench (disc & belt) sander to do bevels (as instructed by bernie) but haven't tried shallow grinds like that yet.

The main time I need an extra bit of length in the blade is for battening firewood (splitting) so maybe 5.5 to 6" would be the ideal for me - I too design my own blades.

My dilema now is whether to attempt a shallow grind like yours above or stick with a scandi which I know I can do.

Try practising on some scrap metal to get the feel of things good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE