My lovely wife bought me an axe for my birthday. Can you ID it for me?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Tomorrow is my birthday, but since I won't be home (working away) we celebrated my birthday this morning (mostly for the kids to share it).

My wife bought me an old axe at a car boot. She got it for a song - £3.50. She is excellent at finding bargains! ;)

It looks well made (I am a novice so really have no idea). The wedge is pinned in place with two metal "staples". The head has no markings other than "DSI" above what looks like an eye or fish symbol and then 21/2 written below that.

I've not yet taken a file to it, but clearly it's not seen one in a very long time.

Can you help me identify this axe, and for bonus points, tell me whether it's any good?

P5313125%20-%20Cropped.JPG

P5313128.JPG

P5313129.JPG

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Don't know the particular maker but have used vary many axes of similar type and vintage and am sure it will be a good one. The metal wedges across the wooden wedge are fine and it looks in pretty good nick. Quick sharpen up and it should be ready to work.

krung

May 4, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
It is made by Dansk Stålindustri (DSI - Danish Steel Industry). I don’t know much about them and the internet isn’t so helpful.

My father had a small scout’s axe made by DSI. It is a rather common brand for older Danish axes.

From the Danish Wikipedia article on hammers, I know that DSI was producing hammers around 1924.

- Kasper

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
Thank you so much for the information Kasper and Tengu. I took a file to it earlier, and although I don't have the edge I want yet (had to do other stuff) it seems like good steel. As Robin said; it is sound and will probably make a nice axe.

Last edited:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i use a DSI axe at work.
its a different design to yours, has a much thicker profile which makes it a great splitting axe. this is all i use it for so i cannot comment on quality of steel.

yours looks well designed, the profile isn’t too thin and has a gentle slope to the edge (i personally don't like GB axes which are thin with a sudden steep bevel).
the curve on the edge (corner to corner) isn't too rounded which is good as this can make it inefficient when felling or chopping logs to size.

i would be very happy with it:)

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE