My local woodland/marshland in Essex, UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bryndlefly

Nov 7, 2013
essex
Just popped out this afternoon to get some practice setting up tarps and making usable shelters. I'm trying to learn a few knots to make life easier too. There was a fair breeze and the occasional light shower just to remind me to hurry up.

Just a few pictures of my attempts.
DSC_0014_zps4a0fd3f3.jpg

DSC_0015_zpsff3c810c.jpg

DSC_0011_zps35bf7d3e.jpg

DSC_0012_zps30dd0c61.jpg

I think I'm going to upgrade to a DD 3x3 basha in the near future and carry on practicing the knots. Also debating a DD frontline hammock.

comments and criticisms welcome :)
Bryn.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Nice little set up, for beginings,

Before you purchase the DD 3x3 I would look into what you want it for, IMO the 4x4 is the best all rounder, most of us in the Suffolk group like the 4x4 for a number of reasons, saying that depending on how the Guys feel depends on the kit they bring so there's always different kit about,

As a matter of Interest the Skill Share for Jan happens to be Tarpology :)

Size wise I have 3x3, 4x4, 4.5 x 3, and 4ish x 2ish (ponco Tarp)..

The 3x3 in my opinion is short for hammocking in the winter/rain unless you use it as a diamond.. but for me the reasons above count it out,

I find the 4.5 x 3 a bit too long you have to pick your trees well.. also if you take the tarp to ground the 3 meter lives you a low ridge, myself I find this a pain as I have to stoop under it...this I also find with the 3x3,

I have used the 4 x 4 quite a lot find it has plenty of room you can comfortably borito the ends in to form doors and have loads of room, the ridge is also at a nice height for me and does not restrict movement under the Tarp.. the amount of room also give you loads of admin space it weather is a bit fowl, if you have not got a communal shelter....

The only thnig I would say is the 4x4 can be a bit of a sail in V high winds... and can billow in.. I have not found this yet, but some have.The smaller poncho type for me is just for warm sunny times...oh and of course boonie weekends..lol

I like the DD's, and have had no problems with them..they have external ridge line loops..and the tarp hangs under them, with a ridge line that runs under the tarp, but that could lead to rain running down the ridge line, under the tarp and driping inside the tarp on to what evers under it... if your hammocking , in to your sleeping kit...., yes you have hanging posibilitys of things , but just add an extra internal ridge line,

So to me the 4 x4 is teh best size for my needs...hope my thougths help

bryndlefly

Nov 7, 2013
essex
Thanks guys.

Thanks for the informative post Stu, I'm deffinatly intending to come along to January's meet. to learn a bit of Tarpology would be a massive help too. I see your point about the 3x3 and 4x4 tarps. Regarding space, I'm not the tallest of guys at approx 5,10" the 2.5x1.7 in the pics is just long enough for me and at the minute my skill level would probably negate any benefit of having the larger Tarp but I guess that could change with a bit of practice and some friendly tuition.

Cheers, Bryn.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice set up's. its always good to get out in the woods to play, before you actually need to build a shelter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE