My little alcohol stove (very pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Right, some time ago The Big Lebowski made me a little alcohol burner from a red bull can, and I liked it very much. However, apart from nearly starting a house-fire with it I haven't done much as I've been tinkering with the set-up, trying to get it really compact.

I wanted a stove set up that would be as compact and lightweight as possible, for sticking in my pocket on short walks where all I might want is a hot drink. For longer trips I will use my Bushbuddy woodburner.

So, here it is, in the mark 1, acceptable configuation (there are things I would improve or change, but this is good enough)

The pot is an aluminium camping mug that I got from a car boot. It had a Tesco label, but I can't find it on the Tesco website any more. The handle has snapped off.
The lid is from an Ikea storage jar with the plastic insert reoved, and then the handle rivets bashed until the hold (one of them is very twisted). The fork is purely for scale.
5618585043_a8b15911a7.jpg

Inside is the stove itself, the burner, and a container of matches. the matches are in a camera film case, with the matchbox sleeve slid over it. There is usually a single chocolate options sachet in there too, for a drink.
5618585317_5749b41e51.jpg

5619172630_ce5554d59c.jpg

The stove consists of a baked bean tin (one of the small ones) with both ends removed, and some holes punched in the base. Onto this sits a fan cover from a computer that has been cut down and bent. When stowed it sits over the tin, as in the previous picture.
5619172880_a5a1d52b2a.jpg

To assemble, place the fan cover onto the tin (it just sits there nicely), and once the burner is lit, place the tin over it.
5618585993_5008d33531.jpg

Put the pot and lid on top, and wait.
5619173484_ba68bbbb1a.jpg

With a windshield, I can get a roiling boil for a cup of water, and it will boil for a minute or two. Without a windshield, it goes out just as the water starts to boil. I made a lid lifter out of some wire I had near to hand.
5619173674_57e4772c48.jpg

Add the sachet, and you have hot chocolate.
5618638989_b585aaccf3.jpg

Thanks for making the burner Al. Great work.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I meant to add that I weighed the setup, without sachet or matches, and it came to 107g, or 114g (4oz in old money) with the lid lifter. Fuel is extra again.

I should also add that as the pot is hot and has no handle, you either need good gloves, or a pan lifter. I'm using a pan lifter in the last pic.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Your more than welcome bud... thats one 'uber' cool lightweight set-up and its great to see it evolving!! :)

I have plenty more red-bull tins so may have a play next week and make you a range to experement with... (safely) ;)

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Until it crashes and you get the Blue Flame Of Death...

But seriously, I like that setup. Looks very stable. What sort of windshield are you using?

One of those cheap segmented ones - five sheets of thin metal held together with wire. It works, even if it does have a tendency to come apart sometimes. I didn't use it in the set-up in the pics.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice little setup, I like it

You could add some fibreglass wick round the pot so you can pick it up without burning your fingers, use a hemp temp adhesive like JB Weld and it'll never come off.

I like that little ally pot, been looking for something similar for a while

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk

You could add some fibreglass wick round the pot so you can pick it up without burning your fingers, use a hemp temp adhesive like JB Weld and it'll never come off.

Great idea about the fibreglass I'll give that a go. As for the pot, I had two of those cups, but I gave one away, and can't find another the same size. It is 9cm wide, which is wider than all of the ones on evilbay.

The other thing I'm still working on is a way of holding the lid on when not in use. The lid just rests on top, which is great for in use as it comes off easily and I don't get boil-over, but a pain otherwise. I'm thinking a bit of wide elastic that will just fit through the lid handle and two velcro discs.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Not sure what hemp temp is but I meant to say high temp :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE