My latest conspiracy theory

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The bloke that last serviced my husquvarna sewing machine as good as said all main label machines made in the 20 years dont last more 5 years and arent up to the job. He collected cast iron victorian machines. I have two victorain singers that still work, and the husquvarna from the year I was born. I have gone through and binned three modern machines. He basically said between computer chips and fragile plastic parts modern stuff is designed to break. I have heard the same thing from car and washing machine repair men.

The thing is cars, washing machine, sewing machines, toasters, kettles, cookers and credit cards worked fine for years without chips. There is no proft in a everlasting lightbulb or a sewing machine that still works after 120 years.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
dont get me started on modern medical equipment

I used to work on a linear acellerator from the 60's - first of its kind - worked right up to the day it was replaced

its replacement is struggling to make 10 years and to be honest so much of it has been replaced its not even the original machine.....

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Our Samsung fridge kept icing up and although it was out of warranty, Samsung sent an engineer round to fix it, free of charge.

Although I'm sure there is an amount of planned obsolescence, the fact that people aren't (always) prepared to pay for quality is probably a big factor. For example, you could buy an industrial sewing machine but it's more expensive than a domestic one which has to use cheaper parts to keep the cost low

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
dont get me started on modern medical equipment

I used to work on a linear acellerator from the 60's - first of its kind - worked right up to the day it was replaced

its replacement is struggling to make 10 years and to be honest so much of it has been replaced its not even the original machine.....

Who made it?

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
It is simply own product knowledge and skill in calculating the 'mean time between failures' and other statistical measures and designing the guarantee to match the data.

Any product has a life, designed in or otherwise, and a knowledgeable and reputable manufacturer will back its product for that predicted life, but why should they give the punter a free ride when it is beyond its expected life.

I note that no one here has mentioned the service of a reputable manufacturer when an item fails within its expected life. e.g. Leatherman.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
My refurbished bose headphones have failed 3 times. Each time out of warranty and with no receipt. Each time I have been given a brand new pair including an upgrade to the latest model. So had 3 free pairs spanning 9 years

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Our Samsung fridge kept icing up and although it was out of warranty, Samsung sent an engineer round to fix it, free of charge.

Although I'm sure there is an amount of planned obsolescence, the fact that people aren't (always) prepared to pay for quality is probably a big factor. For example, you could buy an industrial sewing machine but it's more expensive than a domestic one which has to use cheaper parts to keep the cost low

Years ago I'd agree, but the TV that blew was a Sony, the fridgefreezer was Bosch, washer drier was Hoover, had a snapped DC jack on a Lenova laptop, Gaggia coffee machine failed twice, second time I insisted on a refund and bought a new cafetiere putting £150 back in the bank. I won't pay £100 for a bushcraft shirt but will pay for 'nice, things at home, fact is that the quality of some of the 'better' companies just ain't what it was :(

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Machines are indeed esigned to fail after a certain amount of time.
But..... if you buy a big plasma screen for instance with a 12 month warranty and it breaks down right after that, you can still claim your warranty! There are European laws, jurisprudence and/or court rulings stating that you can expect a piece of machinery of this category to last you at least 2 years. Same goes for other householdappliances. There are standards set for those, but no one knows. Buying extra warranty is nonsense, since you can still claim it, but I guess that's a manufacturers/resellers way of covering the extra costs.
It is based on the Sales of Good Act"
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Than additional laws from different countries can influence the warrantytime even further, like in Holland, but the 2-yearperiod applies allways.
It has been a long time ago, since I was in lawenforcement, but if memory serves me well, there are similar rulings for cras and other things you bought.
http://www.consumenteninformatiepunt.nl/page/en/themes/Kopen-in-de-EU

Last edited:

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
continuing down the "planned obsolescence" thought road, I bet that changing fashions and fads are just a way to make money out of poor, unsuspecting, punters via fashion-conscious friends/family!
also, I can see why the scummy gits at the top do it: keep 'em coming back and keep prices down.
I have expensive clothes that haven't lasted as well as ones a third the price:(

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I'll have a look at that cheers Paul

I did a lot of digging about when it first went dodgy and it was quite a common fault apparently, something about a connection working loose along the top of the plasma panel when it warmed up and expanded.

dry solder joint, that sounds about right.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
As others have said, building too high quality damages repeat sales, basically because the original purchase lasts too long....High quality is also expensive and makes it difficult to compete with other companies who make cheap versions.

As most customers choose the cheapest option, the companies who make decent quality stuff either lower their costs (quality) or go out of business.

IMO much of the blame lies with customers. They choose the products they buy.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
This tumble drier must be around 40 years old as I'm 39 and it was at home as long as I can remember and now it sits in my garage and still works perfectly!! So they can make stuff that lasts but probably not good for business?

002-1.jpg

Steve.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I know a guy who used to design electrical circuits for one of the biggest domestic electrical appliance makers in the UK.

The circuits were designed to fail on average just after the warranty period ran out. They'd work out the operating temperatures and ensure that one of the components was just slghtly under spec to reliably fail.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
This tumble drier must be around 40 years old as I'm 39 and it was at home as long as I can remember and now it sits in my garage and still works perfectly!! So they can make stuff that lasts but probably not good for business?

002-1.jpg

Steve.

Nice bow rig ;)

kennyboy

Jul 15, 2009
N.Ireland
Open it up and take a hammer to the innerds 1 month before warenty runs out. Works all the time.
Or add water if electrical. Get a great firework show as well.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
One piece of advice that someone once gave me about washing machines:

It is better to buy the lowest-spec model from the best quality brand, than the highest-spec model from a low quality brand. The reason is that the low-spec model from the higher quality brand will likely have exactly the same quality components as their top-spec models, only the electronics are different. But if you buy the highest-spec model from a low-quality brand, the quality of the components will be the same as their cheapest model.

I think Bosch and Siemens are now practically the same. Likewise Electrolux, Zanussi, Rosenlew (used to have a good reputation in Finland) and AEG are all the same company. This means they will (at least attempt to) share the same components between all brands, gives better purchasing power, allows a modular approach during the development process, reduces the number of spare parts they need to store in their network and reduces complexity in production.

IMO the only company worth buying white goods from is Miele. They are privately owned and have less pressure for short-term returns because there are no greedy shareholders. They still make extremely high quality products.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE