My large/group first aid kit.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
No worries mate and no offence intended but this is a forum used and read by a great many people so when it comes to a point of law we have to make sure the facts given are correct. Last thing anyone wants is a prosecution because of ignorance. As I have said though you obviously have the skills to use just about all of the kit you have and you are apparently in the same mindset as me cos when I go to a group meet I always take enough to cover any eventuality and because I have the skills and the training I am the obvious choice to look after such things and very happy I am to take on that mantle, most likely like yourself I imagine.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I wrote a long post weighing medico-legal issues against pragmatism, and the need to stop people dying pointlessly. But felt uncomfortable about posting it on a public forum. Suffice to say, I'll sidestep this whole issue.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
While it may look the dogs danglies personally I would sack the lot and keep a small kit for yourself. With the way people are these days you could get into a world of hurt by using that kit on anyone in the street.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
My interests in a large comprehensive medical kit is more for exceptional incidents or circumstances - such as systemic collapse

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
2) Tourniquets aren't considered to be first aid kit either - too much opportunity to do shed loads of harm (in the requiring of amputation of a limb way) rather than good.
Tourniquets are coming back into fashion. I recently attended the Mountain Rescue Casualty Care course and we covered their use for catastrophic bleeds. Apparently recent studies show that you can have as much as 12 hours before necrosis sets in and if losing the limb means saving the life then I know what I'd rather!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have only ever used tourniquets in the military (CAT) although I'm interested to see that MRTs are looking at them again.

Like many bits of first aid/medical equipment, I believe they should only be applied by those who have had the training and understand the physiological issues involved. This also applies to a number of other items/procedures that have become 'popular' on this forum (anti-haemorrhagic dressings, wound stitching, prescription drugs, minor surgery, etc). Leave it to the pros. First aid is exactly what it is. If people want to be doctors, they should go to medical school.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Tourniquets are coming back into fashion. I recently attended the Mountain Rescue Casualty Care course and we covered their use for catastrophic bleeds. Apparently recent studies show that you can have as much as 12 hours before necrosis sets in and if losing the limb means saving the life then I know what I'd rather!

I'd consider applying a tourniquet to a distal arterial bleed if pressure alone wasn't enough to stop someone bleeding out - but you'd really have to know what you were doing. Interventions like that are for when you're back is up against the wall and you're running out of options. Always use pressure in the first instance. An Israeli FFD will serve very well as a tourniquet without having to carry additional kit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE