My Jerky has gone mouldy!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I made up a big batch of jerky last weekend using the recipe form the article section, but when I looked at it this morning is has gone all mouldy. :(

Any thoughts?

I didn't want to let it dry it out any more than it was, so I wrapped it in greaseproof paper and put it in a biscuit tin. I wonder if I should just have left it in an open container.

I've also remembered that I didn't wipe the marinade off before drying it.

Any idea if it can be rescued (e.g. wash the mould off and leave it out to dry)?

mould.jpg

Geoff

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
You might try storing it in cloth bags. It molded due to a humid environment around the jerky. Evidently there was still moisture on the outside which was held in by the greaseproof paper or it was stored where there was high humidity. Try wiping off any residual moisture left on the ouside. Also, store it in a cool dry place. I keep mine in my basement.

Another possibility is to completely seal it. I buy jerky this way, sealed in vacuum packs.

jerky_supper1c.jpg

I've never had jerky go bad while stored in cloth bags. It will get old and very dry, but not spoil.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Drying it more thoroughly and allowing it to air out rather than sealing it up would have done the trick. The cloth bag sounds like a good plan to me. As for salvage, I wouldn't risk it if I didn't have to. Chalk it up to learning and go forward. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE