My Individual First Aid Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum and noticed a number of posts about first aid kits. So I thought I would add my thoughts. I had an experience similar to the one detailed by Widgy grub in his thread:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119582

I found that the way you organize your first aid kit can be very important, too. I used to keep my first aid supplies in a heavy gauge plastic bag instead of a nylon pouch. It was lightweight and inexpensive (free). Then I had a minor incident where I cut my hand and needed to stop the bleeding. To access my gauze pads, I was forced to dump the contents of the plastic bag onto the ground. Otherwise I would have had to rummage through the contents of the confined bag, one-handed, trying not to get blood all over everything (while bleeding).

So I returned to using a nylon pouch to carry my first aid gear. Here is a description and some pictures of my solution in case others are interested:

My Individual First Aid Kit

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Welcome to the forum :)

I carry so many different bags that to have just one kit is not practical.

Handbags have a couple of wipes and plasters, anti histamines and painkillers.

Foraging bags have wipes, plasters, anti histamines and anti insecty things as well as a couple of decent sized just in case bandages.

Daypack have larger again, and camping is the full bhoona right up to Israeli pressure bandages.

The biggest issue is access when you're the one leaking the red juice everywhere :sigh:

Big cotton hankie/bandana does two things... it's not only a wrap it up quick and give you a moment to think, but it's also something you can tip the whole blooming kit and caboodle out onto to find exactly what you're looking for.
I usually carry a bit of thin soft plastic in my FA kits, it only weighs a few grams.
Cut up a cheap cagoule or garden seat cover (£stores do them in a very decent green shade :) ) put it at the top of the kit and give yourself something to put down to work on cleanly.
In our sodden wet climate dry is a blessing, and a bit long enough to sit on or lie down on weighs very, very little indeed. The lightweight reflective survival blankets (2 for £1) work just as well though they're more fragile.

While I mind, Lidl's have boxes of plasters in just now; finger ones, and they're brilliant :D Well worth the money and all good useable sizes. H shaped ones, and extra long to wrap round securely ones, too. They're also selling a wee box of the hydrocolloidal ones for £1.29, and again, they're good and worth the money. Tidy wee box to slip into a pack as well.

cheers,
Toddy

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
I have a couple of clam shell opening IFAKs, but still notice the problem of trying to unzip the inner mesh pockets (especially with one hand and getting stuff out) so I'm thinking of cutting the mesh round three sides and stitching Velcro back on so a simple rip action will expose the contents. Also I keep a couple of "feminine towels" in each pack, very cheap and very absorbant and good for applying pressure to open wounds. I also agree with having a piece of waterproof material packed in the top of your ruck, good for putting stuff (including your bum) on. (Hope I can say that word on here)

Last edited:
I have a couple of clam shell opening IFAKs, but still notice the problem of trying to unzip the inner mesh pockets (especially with one hand and getting stuff out) so I'm thinking of cutting the mesh round three sides and stitching Velcro back on so a simple rip action will expose the contents...

Hi Blaidd!

I am intrigued by the velcro idea. It never occurred to me, but it sounds like a common sense thing to do. The only possible downside is that the "ripping" motion might spill the contents of the mesh pockets. This is probably not an issue if the pocket contains few, relatively large items like bandages.

- Woodsorrel

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I thought I'd posted on this thread yesterday? I use a couple of clear plastic map cases with velcro closings. 'Camp FAK' means one bag with main dressings and a secondary bag with general FAK stuff, medication stays separate. As they are transparent its easy to see/find stuff and you can add more bags if needed.

This sort of thing

COM036-gelert_pvc_map_case.jpg

... I use a couple of clear plastic map cases with velcro closings. 'Camp FAK' means one bag with main dressings and a secondary bag with general FAK stuff, medication stays separate. As they are transparent its easy to see/find stuff and you can add more bags if needed...

This is an interesting idea, rik_uk3. Do you ever have trouble fitting bulky items because the map cases are so "flat"?

- Woodsorrel

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Its surprising what does fit in them. I'm in the midst of moving house so my camping stuff is boxed up but I'll take a picture when I can. The transparency works well and if someone else needed to use the kit(s) they can see pretty much what is there...saves time.

Its surprising what does fit in them. I'm in the midst of moving house so my camping stuff is boxed up but I'll take a picture when I can. The transparency works well and if someone else needed to use the kit(s) they can see pretty much what is there...saves time.

Thanks, I would be interested to see the pictures. Some bandages and rollers can be bulky. I would like to see how the map case accommodates them. Also, I would like to see if everything "piles up" in the bottom of the case. This would diminish the benefit of the clear plastic.

- Woodsorrel

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They only cost a couple of pounds, I'm sure you can get them in the USA for a couple of dollars so why not invest in one or two and give it a go. A ziplock bag will work too but the map case is a little tougher and has hanging cord.

It also depends upon what you carry, I'm not a trained wilderness medic et al, just a retired nurse so my FAK is very straightforward but does include the likes if an Israeli dressing which is pretty much the bulkiest item...KISS principle works for me.

They only cost a couple of pounds, I'm sure you can get them in the USA for a couple of dollars so why not invest in one or two and give it a go...

I am definitely interested in learning about other options and will consider this approach. But my current system is working well for me (described in original post).

The main drawback with any type of first aid "bag" is organization and access. As I mentioned in the original post, I discovered that when I was one-handed and bleeding was not the time to have to rummage around inside a bag. And dumping the contents onto the ground is not always possible or safe.

- Woodsorrel

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Transparent bag makes life easy and a Velcro opening can be done with one hand. Give it a go and let us know how you get on.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Thinking out loud here... I wonder if I could add a 'flap' to one side of the pouch so I could kneel on it and open it with my 'good' hand if the need arises? The trick will be ease of access vs. spilling it onto the ground, as you mentioned.
Also, rik, your map case idea sounds interesting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE