My hobo stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Its nearing the time when i go down to Bristol with my brother and my dad fishing for Cod, Its a great day out despite it often being wet, windy and VERY cold! Now we normaly take my brothers gas stove, which is a double burner running on small butane bottles and its a pretty heavy item. To get to the spot we fish at, its quite a dangerous walk over sheer drops ect so i wanted a way to lighten some of the load we carry, so i decided to make a hobo stove!!! I made this one in a few hours and it ticks all my boxes, its VERY sturdy, and bigger than most iv seen. I've polished it to a certain degree as this should make it easier to clean. Onto the pics........

Image007.jpg

Image008.jpg

Image009.jpg

I have built in a little mesh at the bottom of the tin, this is to keep the tinder / fuel off the ground to help air flow, i havent tried the stove yet, so im off to do that now :)

Let me know if you have any idea's on improving it!

Thanks

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
What fuels can be used for these stoves?

anything that burns really, The design above though has the flames and heat scorching the food directly as it appears to be a grill. So using hexi blocks would be a no no, If you have a pot ontop then burn whatever you want as the fumes and particles wont directly touch the food.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
The grill on the top in my design is so that smaller items can be put on it i.e baked bean / soup tins, so you can cook in the can! The burner is quite wide and without the grill a baked bean tin would sit inside! The reason i wanted a wider tin is so that it would be more stable with a large kettle on it. I guess you could throw a couple of sasuages on it though :D

The main type of fuel this will burn though is wood.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
The grill on the top in my design is so that smaller items can be put on it i.e baked bean / soup tins, so you can cook in the can! The burner is quite wide and without the grill a baked bean tin would sit inside! The reason i wanted a wider tin is so that it would be more stable with a large kettle on it. I guess you could throw a couple of sasuages on it though :D

The main type of fuel this will burn though is wood.

ahhhh, if you put a few rods through the burner you could balance the tin inside and cook the food much quicker due to the vortex effect. I do have to admit that the idea of having a few burgers sizzling on the grill and maybe a few mushrooms is appealing.

does anybody else have a grill on their hobo stove?

EDIT; forgot to mention, nice hand work

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Just tried it out, its raining at the mo and also pretty windy, which im glad about as the bristol channel is always that way :D First off it took awhile to boil up the water. Now i have added a couple of vents at the back right at the top, the increased airflow has made a big difference. It will boil up about 2 litrers of water in 5 min now. I'll get another pic up now its finished and tested. I'll have a bash at building a proper grill for basic cooking the weekend and see what i come up with!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE