My foray into youtube (gulp)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks, i have just set up a youtube channel, and put up my first video. The sound is not the best,but its a steep learning curve, and i'm just working my way through.

The clip itself is of the deadfall trap, that i posted up in the out and about forum.

Please let me lnow what you think, but please be gentle, as i am a complete novice when it comes to these things. Mind you i think when your are at a certain age, computers don,t come easy, i even type posts using one finger, it drives my youngest daughter nuts :rolleyes:.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

[video=youtube;II1SLQCrOpk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1SLQCrOpk&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Cheers Stuart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Good for you Stuart, i saw it last night.
I know nothing but i guess folks will be asking what camera is used etc, one of my tribe does you tube stuff but it's mainly indoors with a digital slr on video mode.
remote microphones with the wee furry thingy to cut out the wind is probably a biggie, the filming was fine to my eyes.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Good for you Stuart, i saw it last night.
I know nothing but i guess folks will be asking what camera is used etc, one of my tribe does you tube stuff but it's mainly indoors with a digital slr on video mode.
remote microphones with the wee furry thingy to cut out the wind is probably a biggie, the filming was fine to my eyes.

Thanks Tam.

Cheers Stuart.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hi Stuart...........Well done, I say! I'd not seen that trap before, you live and learn, eh? You'll soon get the hang of the technical stuff, thanks for posting...........atb mac

unijaw

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2013
Trowbridge,Wiltshire
Hey that's a great video! Sound is a small issue however. You could invest in a mic OR just record the audio at home and put it over the video. So you can watch the video and explain what you are doing some people prefer it this way if that is something that you would want to explore I think you might find it preferable to investing a lot of money in new recording equipment. Often with bushcraft videos the wind ruins the audio anyway and what I suggested can be applied in these situations. I've subscribed I hope to see more! :)

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Nice one Mr F :)

You sound far less Scottish when you're sober too
:p

Only hints I could give would be to have your website/link showing all the wqy through as many people get to titles at the end and switch off. Think of folks leaving a cinema as soon as the credits roll & then missing the outtakes & bloopers etc.

As for how to do that you probably need someone about quarter my age to explain it LOL

Good luck & keep em coming

Was thinking bout you earlier this week when using your soup making tip,makes a big difference to the taste :)
Cheers

Last edited:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Well done Stuart ,keep the vids coming ...............ps could you do one on how to escape from a bunch of drunken wanabe bushcrafters this could be very handy :lmao:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Well done Stuart ,keep the vids coming ...............ps could you do one on how to escape from a bunch of drunken wanabe bushcrafters this could be very handy :lmao:

:lmao: Jason, aye maybe an escape and evasion video should be on the cards :cool:. On second thoughts all you need to do is leave a case of beer out in the open,and they will gravitate towards it, and then you will be left sitting bird alone, no need run away ;).

Cheers Stuart.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
hi Stuart,

just watched your video.
great that you want to share your knowledge with us, thank you!

i have an offer for you!
i have a microphone with a standard size 3.5mm stereo plug on the end that i can send you?
not professional quality, but very useable quality.
it will plug in to your computer's microphone socket and may also plug straight in to your video camera.

as i'm not sure on what you are familiar with, please forgive me asking and offering some things that you may already know?
and i'm no expert, just a sort of able to 'get by' using the video camera and basic editing.

do you already know about the windows moviemaker program?
there are lots of other free programs that will do this job as well.

if you still have the original video for the deadfall trap and if you want to redo the audio, i'll happily walk you through how to record a new audio track for it if you wish?
and although your video is clear, it may be possible to get the video to look sharper for you?

thanks again for sharing, :D

austin

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
hi Stuart,

just watched your video.
great that you want to share your knowledge with us, thank you!

i have an offer for you!
i have a microphone with a standard size 3.5mm stereo plug on the end that i can send you?
not professional quality, but very useable quality.
it will plug in to your computer's microphone socket and may also plug straight in to your video camera.

as i'm not sure on what you are familiar with, please forgive me asking and offering some things that you may already know?
and i'm no expert, just a sort of able to 'get by' using the video camera and basic editing.

do you already know about the windows moviemaker program?
there are lots of other free programs that will do this job as well.

if you still have the original video for the deadfall trap and if you want to redo the audio, i'll happily walk you through how to record a new audio track for it if you wish?
and although your video is clear, it may be possible to get the video to look sharper for you?

thanks again for sharing, :D

austin

Hi Austin, many thanks for your kind offer, but i have got a mic that i can use with my computer. And i am using windows moviemaker,luckily the wife knows her way around a computer, and has got me up to speed with it. I am also looking into buying a camcorder so as to better the quality of the videos.

Many thanks again.

Cheers Stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE