My first spoon, pic heavy

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just thought I'd share with folks the first spoon that I'm actually willing to show people. My other attempt was a total failure with the wood splitting due :eek:

I made it from a piece of sycamore sapling I cut down when I was clearing around my campsite at the bushmoot which is why it is a bit long and thin but I think it's got some character for that :)

spoon3.jpg

spoon4.jpg

spoon2.jpg

spoon5.jpg

It's still a bit rough and needs finishing but it's just about there. I really enjoyed carving it and look forward to doing more as time comes along

preacherman

May 21, 2008
Cork, Ireland
10 times better than my efforts. I can never leave it alone when its done. Just one last bit here.....dig a big chunk out by mistake and have to start again.....

Its addictive though.

Rosco

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2008
west yorkshire
That looks a crackin piece of work mate. It looks really light and has nice evenly thin walls around the bowl, look forward to seeing more of your work.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes I like that;)
I'll tell you what though; I'd be tempted to just give it a light sanding, a touch of , oh maybe walnut oil? olive oil would do but then leave it and start your next one.
It has a particular charm as it is, gently rustic?
Either way, it's an excellent piece of work.
sincerely.
R.B.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Yes I like that;)
I'll tell you what though; I'd be tempted to just give it a light sanding, a touch of , oh maybe walnut oil? olive oil would do but then leave it and start your next one.
It has a particular charm as it is, gently rustic?
Either way, it's an excellent piece of work.
sincerely.
R.B.

Thanks RB and everyone else for their kind comments.

I was probably going to do as you sauggested and just sand off the harsher edges then oil it. I'm looking forward to carving my next one, only problem is finding the right wood.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
well done Mesquite, thanks for letting me share your camp while it was raining on Monday morning inorder for me to put on dry socks. i will pst my first spoon as well as my very first Arrow shaft. your spoon is better than mine/ well done like the shape very much
hans
the interceptor boy,.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
well done Mesquite, thanks for letting me share your camp while it was raining on Monday morning inorder for me to put on dry socks.

:confused: :confused: :confused: I don't remember sharing my camp with anyone but a guy from Kent who I gave some char cloth to. I had a very out of the way little camp that was difficult to find. You sure you have the right person?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE