My First Sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
I made my first knife a while back now but never got around to making a sheath for it – mainly because I misplaced the leather that came with the kit ><
Anyway, I got some leather for a very reasonable price from a kind member on here and gave it a go!
I had a look at a guide on britishblades which goes through it step by step so I’m following that.

I started by drawing out the shape of the sheath on some paper:

22f6b8b8.jpg

7e9fda50.jpg

Then realised it was actually a bit big and wouldn’t fit on the piece of leather that I had so drew a smaller version inside the template:

5599edf7.jpg

I cut it out along with another piece for the welt:

88420991.jpg

Then I transferred it onto the leather:

600aa853.jpg

effc4bf1.jpg

I also cut a smaller welt to make the sheath thicker and sanded an angle on the inside to make it easier to put the knife in:

f0768e81.jpg

Then I took a rasp to the smooth side of the welt to make the glue stick better (don’t know if this actually makes a difference or not. I know when painting car parts you should ‘key’ the surface with sandpaper to make the primer stick properly so thought I’d apply the same theory with leather and glue lol):

71ef213c.jpg

Glued up the welts:

611a05f9.jpg

20b8bb7a.jpg

When they were dry I drilled the holes for the belt strap and stitched it up:

34e3f629.jpg

61815342.jpg

I think I saw this on a Ray Mears programme, to stop the stitches coming undone you should use a lighter/match on the back (excuse the messy stitching on the back):

642aad30.jpg

I then marked out the other holes with my professional leatherworking tool… a fork… lol:

ec153c53.jpg

And drilled the holes:

cd4624f2.jpg

That’s pretty much where I’m up to so far. It’s not perfect but has gone pretty well so far :)
I’ll update this thread as I make progress.
Thanks for reading :)

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Just finished the stitching. Looks ok I think. Theres a couple of slightly wonky stitches but keeps in theme with the hand-made look I suppose lol

c41a0035.jpg

b8b125e5.jpg

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Looking good:)

Common mistake folks make when making a sheath is to draw out the shape with parallel sides. When its sewn up they end up with the bottom being too wide.

If you make it taper so its wider at the top - tapering slightly towards the bottom kind of like this... \_/ but not as steep. You need to remember that you need more leather to go round the handle than the blade;)

Richard

Last edited:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Well I've seen a lot worse:)

another tip; you could also have used the fork to mark a stitch line around the edge, by bending one of the end tines, up a bit, then running the fork around the edge, keeping the unbent tines against the job.

kind regards

R.B.

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Thanks for all the comments :)
Thats a good idea rancid badger, didn't think to do that. I put a pencil in a (maths) compass, ran the pencil down the side of the leather and used the pointed side to mark the line. I'd imagine using the fork would have given a straighter line though :)

@blacksheep - Yeah the top is a little snug on the knife but I'm hoping that when I wet it and put the knife in it might stretch a little bit!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE