My first proper little explore with a camera!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Didn't go very far afield at all. There is a lovely churchyard right outside my house, and I felt like just having a wander through to see what I could see.

I am a total newb and do not know what ANY of this is yet, although I'm about to have a google. If anyone is able to identify any of these though, would be grateful.

Also, apologies for the lighting; it is actually daytime in these pics, but my camera sucks.

A rather large stump of an old tree that had an interesting variety of mushrooms growing on it.

So that's it for the mushrooms.

I've seen a few of these bushes around; any idea what they are?

Are these a variety of rosehip? Because if they are I WILL be coming back to pick some:

These have a heavy chalky substance on them and the berries are rough to the touch. Each berry no larger than my fingernail

The rest of these are a complete mystery to me, at least right now.

Last edited:

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Hey some good subjects there. What camera are you using, I might be able to give some pointers.

Turning off flash, and go into A or S mode and do some adjustments on the ISO and you can see instant improvements.

Most of the shots are not focussed properly. I remember my first forays into photography looking even worse!

I can PM you with some photography hints if you're interested.

Mike

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Ooh thanks, I'd appreciate that! I'm using a canon powershot a20- nothing special as far as I know.

Yeah sorry about pic size; my PC screen has a very high resolution so I sometimes forget how much bigger my pics really are!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ok, the small fungi on the stump are trooping crumble cap, or fairie's bonnets. The big ones with the white lip are probably a species of Ganoderma. The big wavy one is giant polypore.

For the trees, in order
Elderberry - berries edible, the juice makes a powerful syrup
Rosehips - Edible, but see other threads about these. You need to get the seeds out before you eat them.
Blackcurrant - edible
Dunno - don't think it is a native plant, and I don't think it is edible.
Hawthorn - berries edible but tough and unappealing. They need a lot of cooking
Yew - everything about yew is poisonous, except the red fleshy bit around the seeds, and they aren't worth eating because of the risk of taking in a seed, which is extremely toxic. Leave well alone.

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Ooh, thank you for the info!

Elderberry - berries edible, the juice makes a powerful syrup
Rosehips - Edible, but see other threads about these. You need to get the seeds out before you eat them.
Blackcurrant - edible
Dunno - don't think it is a native plant, and I don't think it is edible.
Hawthorn - berries edible but tough and unappealing. They need a lot of cooking
Yew - everything about yew is poisonous, except the red fleshy bit around the seeds, and they aren't worth eating because of the risk of taking in a seed, which is extremely toxic. Leave well alone.

Elderberry; I had hoped that is what it was!
Rosehips; excellent. I've made candied rosehips from the rosehips in my own garden before.
Blackcurrant; are you certain? If so, I may go and pick some.

As for the others, thank you for the ID. Will leave those as they are. I didn't know yew, but suspected it wasn't edible, as that tree is home to a huge family of squirrels and I would've expected it to have been picked clean if it was safe.

The mushrooms; thanks for the ID on those. Trooping crumble cap- is that a form of ink cap, or am I completely off base?

The ganoderma; I've looked online since you mentioned it. Could it be Ganoderma pfeifferi? It is white-ish underneath and brown on top, which looks like some photos I've seen of that variety.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ganoderma is exceptionally hard to sort reliably to species. I know I can't do it.

And yes, I'm pretty confident about the Blackcurrants. Easy test: Bite one. If it tastes like a blackcurrant, you are quids in; if it doesn't, spit it out. ;)

BunnyMazonas

Sep 13, 2010
Kent
Thank you both! :D

I wasn't aware ganoderma were that tricky a variety; as you can probably tell I am extremely new at this! Still, doesn't stop it being fun trying.

As for the berries, I am a happy bunny now. May have a nice bit of foraging to do after work tommorrow.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If the leaves smell like blackcurrant the bush is, iimmc :D

I'm very fond of yew berries, I find them a very sweet fruit munchy. However, I am *always* careful.
I was taught that Yew is a tongue and palate and lips only fruit, no teeth involved, and the stone gets spat straight out.
Makes a lovely pie too :cool:
Fergus the Forager gives a recipe, link on this thread.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45845

The berries aren't ripe up here yet.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE