My first Leatherwork pouch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hello all :cool:

Being inspired by this forum, I went and purchased Colins gem tree book and food for free. all I needed was somthing to carry it in.
So I set out to make my own pouch after being inspired by this forum.

You guys really are a knowledgeable bunch!

I didnt have leather, or needles, or fork punch, or thread.. infact I didnt have anything. Luckily I found some old stuff in my mums cupboards that did the trick. Great way to learn for free before I spend money on proper stuff.

Finished product, and all tools used for the operation!
1.jpg

Back
2.jpg

Intended use
3.jpg

Now just to make that hole a little prittier :)

ohh, question, the back of this leather (the suade bit) leaves a dirty mark on anything it touches, my hands are black from working with this leather. Any ideas how to clean it so it does not ruin the books? simple water and soap? I can confirm it is real leather.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks!! Yes it is a belt loop, and it is not sawn flat to the pouch although it looks it.

I sew the sides together before sewing it to the pouch to make it look better, and to seal it as its double layered (folded over and sewn together) if that makes sense to stop it stretching as its thin leather :)

Its very unlikely I will actually wear this on the belt, I just wanted to experiment with the idea :)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Cracking first job! As for the dirty leather - where did you get it from? If it has been recently dyed with spirit based dye it could simple be the dye coming out.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks Kerne. I think its a cracking job too seeing as ive never done a stich before or cut material down to size!

the leather is probably 5 - 10 years old passed down untill it reached me. No idea how it was treated.

I will drown it in water and give it a scrub, im sure that wont hurt the leather right?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Just a question for the leather guru's.

What is the best way to to make a stich hole?

Is it to punch a hole, or cut a hole? (for stiching)

Punching would stretch the leather, not sure if this is good or bad.

People use a couple of ways to make the stitch hole, the two that I have used are to drill it or to go through with an awl.

Drilling the stitch holes can be done with a dremel and a very small diameter bit. This process removes leather but can be quicker to get all the holes done in the leather.
Using an awl pushes leather aside to create the hole. I may be wrong here but if you do it this way then you punch a few holes, sew, punch some more and sew as the leather hole might start to close up. Something I learned from Paul at the moot.

Also the leather thickness comes into it, if its real thin stuff, using an awl can be pretty quick, but on the thicker 3mm upwards it can be harder to get the awl through and get a good allignment on the front and back.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks for your reply.

The speed, conveniance or practicality isnt an issue. I gues what Im asking is which is the safest way for the leather. Which will last longer. Which method damages the leather the least ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE