My first Kuksa....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Hi all,
Thought I'd share a piccy of my first attempt at carving a Kuksa. I used a piece of Sycamore which I'd 'foraged' from a nearby tree felling job. It's far from being the most aesthetically pleasing, but I'm relatively happy with the outcome.

I wrote a blog post about the process here, feel free to have a look and tell me what you think. I've tried to offer up a beginners perspective and share the lessons that I learnt along the way (no advertising gimmickery on my blog!).

https://barneysbimbles.blogspot.com/2019/03/carving-kuksa.html

IMG_20190303_134409.jpg

IMG_20190316_094102.jpg

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Good job! Chunky but pleasing shape, holds tea - what's not to like?
Interesting and informative blog post by the way. I thought the shape reminded me of a Swedish plastic Kuksa, and this was confirmed in the article.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
Thanks all, much appreciated.

Good job! Chunky but pleasing shape, holds tea - what's not to like?
Interesting and informative blog post by the way. I thought the shape reminded me of a Swedish plastic Kuksa, and this was confirmed in the article.
Thanks, glad you recognised the shape and agree that it's still a little chunky. I'm fully intending to re-visit the kuksa in the not too distant future and deal with that issue by increasing the volume of the cup.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's a great cup, well done goodjob I take my hat off to anyone that's willing to put the time into creating things, especially useful ones!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I was beginning to think that all kuksa came out of a mold of conventional, conservative thinking and MUST be round.
"Coffee!!!!" was my very first thought when I saw that.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I was beginning to think that all kuksa came out of a mold of conventional, conservative thinking and MUST be round.
"Coffee!!!!" was my very first thought when I saw that.

:D It looks exactly like my first coffee in my first kuksa which is definitely not one of those commercial round ones.
@Barney Rubble leave it as it is and treasure it, use it as a model for future carvings so you can develop both your skills and designs as you wish. ScottE's sentiment covers it nicely.

Rob

Reactions: ScottE

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Traditional kåsas are slightly oval or mainly round.
I think this firm came with the plastic onrs, but I do not think it matters!
It is lovely as it is, and I would not touch it.
As it is made from a straight grain, it needs to be thicker than if it was made from a burl.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE