My first Knife and Sheath....Help!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
W

Winston Dover

I am currently enjoying making my first knife, having bought a kit from Attleborough Accesories (Excellent service by the way). When its done i plan to trymaking a new sheath for it. I want to include a pouch/loop to keep a firesteel in in the sheath. I have a Firesteel already similar to this one

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr1208.html

but cannot get it to spark using the back of the blade.Do i need to buy something special? I know attleborough do one, but im loath to buy it if i should be able to use this one, mind the one they sell does not have a handle and provides an excuse to do something else new....

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
the link dosn't work but i think i know what you mean. - did it come with the striker thingy? and if so does that work?

if so it is probably the knife spine is rounded - sharpen it off a tad, you need a sharp edge as what you are efectivly trying to do is carve of a layer of the firesteel

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
it'll be the edge then! - unless it is a laminated blade and the outer layer is VERY soft!

'attack' it gently with a file to start with then go up in grits with wet and dry till it looks nice - i'd test as you go though

also i've found if the back of the blade up close to the handle is sharpened off it can rub painfully in some cutting situations / positions

hope this helps!
and no the link still dosnt work! - THIS ONE DOES THOUGH! ;) (not showing off - just saving you extra heart ache:) )

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
yeah as said below it depends on the type of steel in the blade.

My woodlore throws loads of sparks off as you would expect, but on my victorinox multitool and frost knife (the cheapy £6 thing that holds a razor edge) not a thing because both blades are stainless.
If you want to use that knife you will have to roughen it up a bit. I filed the bejesus out of mine and it now works a treat, but then i'm not that bothered what happens to a £6 knife that has been bought as a back up for really rough work.
You might want to be VERY careful on a knife you have built yourself as a labour of love!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Minor correction, stainless or carbon steel makes virtually no difference! You also don't need a "rough" spine to the knife - just a tough and square one. Some knives come with a rounded spine. As Graham said, file it flat (and tidy it up smooth with wet and dry if you wish) and unless its an odd steel or laminate blade, it should work a treat. What you are looking for is a sharp edge (corner) to the spine to scrape of slivers of the rod. if its round (or very soft like some Helle laminates) this doesn't happen. HTH

Red

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
:tapedshut heh knew i should of kept me gob shut!

There are far too many people cleverer than me when it comes to the technicalities of knives :22:

Oh well i filed the :censored: out of the back of me mora knife for nothing then :lmao: well at least it works now....more by luck than judgement it seems :eek:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Used to file grooves in the spine of my knives to get a good spark till someone told me what the answer was - and proved it by getting a good shower of sparks off a piece of broken glass :togo: ! You live and learn (at least I hope to do both :lmao: )

Red

W

Winston Dover

Can i just clarify,

Are you saying that the back of my knife needs to have sharp corners or that it needs an edge putting on it.... I am a bit worried about taking a file to my new blade...might decide to stick to the striker that came with it and build that into the sheath to..

Thanks to you all for your comments/points, much appreciated.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
WD,

You don't need to file the spine (back) of the knife to an edge, but to make sure that it has really "square" corners like the edges of a brick! If the knife is a laminate blade (the attelborough website will tell you), don't bother, it won't work. If it tells you its "01 tool steel", "carbon steel" or "stainless steel" it should be fine. If scratches worry you, rub down with 240, 400, 600 & 1,500 grit wet & dry paper

red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE