My first foray into hammocking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_Geraint_

Feb 8, 2008
Lancashire
I have promised myself I would get back into Bushcraft this year and go for some overnighters and the choice was bivi or hammock. Not wanting to be eaten alive by all the creapy crawlies I chose the hammock option. I'm using a DD Travel Hammock and a Tatonka Tarp 2, I've modified the tarp guy line tensioners from the plastic ones that came with it to heavy duty metal ones from Helsport http://www.helsport.no/en/product/ACCESSORIES/Tents_/Bardunstrammere (£5 for 10) Not sure if I'll do the whoopie sling conversion. This is the first time I have set them up so any advice is welcome. :)
tarphammock.jpg

Last edited:

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Nice set up there. Whoopie slings are well worth fitting, I fitted mine a few weeks ago (after months of thinking there was nothing wrong with the existing webbing) its cut my hammock weight by at least a pound, takes up less room, can now be set up in around a minute and is adjustable in seconds without undoing any knots.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Looks like a good setup. I've got the DD Travel myself and love the fact you have the option to use it as a bivvi if there's no suitable trees around.

Converting over to whoopie slings is certainly worth considering. I made the switch last year to try it and found it so much quicker to set up, easier to adjust and much more adaptable. My sons have switched over now too having recently made their own whoopie slings (with the assistance of myself and youtube).

It's also worth having a look over at the hammock forums for different styles of setup as well as ideas for DIY projects. I ended up making some snakeskins for my kids hammocks and in the middle of making some mesh storage solutions for inside my hammock. DIY underquilts for winter camping will be next on the list.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it though...makes for a very comfy night's sleep as well as letting you camp in terrain that would normally be off-limits.

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Hi

I do love hammocks! I have a DD setup too; whoopie slings etc. the one thing I do, that I don't see many others (maybe I'm a bit weird!?) is turn the DD 3 x 3 around 90 deg and use an internal ridge line. It's has a few benefits (for me anyway):

- The internal ridgeline supports the whole weight of the tarp (I use prussiks to tension).
- No second ridgeline needed to support my underblanket shock cord etc.
- Turning the tarp 90 degs means you now have side tie out points to pull the tarp away from the hammock in high winds, or when you have it closed up for a cold night.
- I also have Velcro on the edges of my tarp so I can close in the ends tightly at night in inclement weather. I peg out the tie downs 'one in' from the last on, leaving a triangular 'door' (if that makes any sense?). I don't tend to have a problem with condensation, although others might?

If I can figure out how, I'll do a quick video of how I set my stuff up. I'm so cr*p with technology I'll probably need to wait till the kids are about 8 years old so they can show me how (3 years time.....).

There's a lot of info out there and I highly recommend looking up Sean Emery (Shugemery) on YouTube for his detailed Hammock Vids. He 'Hangs' in some seriously cold environments, so it's a great confidence boost to see ideas working in extremes like that. He's also very entertaining to watch.

Hope this helps in some way

Ed

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Geraint :)

Good to see you followed Shugs advice and didn't string the hammock tight like DD instructions say.

Glad you enjoyed it, I love hammocking :)

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
Hi Geraint :)

Good to see you followed Shugs advice and didn't string the hammock tight like DD instructions say.

Glad you enjoyed it, I love hammocking :)

Yep, I was a bit confused as to how tight to make the hammock. There's some conflicting views between 'those in the know' (and I don't consider myself to be one of them, I'm still very much learning myself) between tight, and 30 degs...?

I maintain a healthy 'sag' and it seems comfy and stable.

Ed

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Hi

I do love hammocks! I have a DD setup too; whoopie slings etc. the one thing I do, that I don't see many others (maybe I'm a bit weird!?) is turn the DD 3 x 3 around 90 deg and use an internal ridge line. It's has a few benefits (for me anyway):

- The internal ridgeline supports the whole weight of the tarp (I use prussiks to tension).
- No second ridgeline needed to support my underblanket shock cord etc.
- Turning the tarp 90 degs means you now have side tie out points to pull the tarp away from the hammock in high winds, or when you have it closed up for a cold night.
- I also have Velcro on the edges of my tarp so I can close in the ends tightly at night in inclement weather. I peg out the tie downs 'one in' from the last on, leaving a triangular 'door' (if that makes any sense?). I don't tend to have a problem with condensation, although others might?

If I can figure out how, I'll do a quick video of how I set my stuff up. I'm so cr*p with technology I'll probably need to wait till the kids are about 8 years old so they can show me how (3 years time.....).

There's a lot of info out there and I highly recommend looking up Sean Emery (Shugemery) on YouTube for his detailed Hammock Vids. He 'Hangs' in some seriously cold environments, so it's a great confidence boost to see ideas working in extremes like that. He's also very entertaining to watch.

Hope this helps in some way

Ed

The only downside of an internal ridgeline is water can run down and under the tarp.

tartanferret

Aug 25, 2011
barnsley
Have you got prussic loops on your ridgeline? Cant tell from your picture. If not, it's a very cheap mod to do to your set up. They allow you to move the tarp along your ridge line but also keep it taut.

Have fun :)

Ed Edwards

Dec 17, 2012
Kent/London
The only downside of an internal ridgeline is water can run down and under the tarp.

True, I do use drip lines just in case, but good point. I started with the internal ridge line when DD didn't reinforce the loops (just the corners) as I found the fabric was unduly wearing and the stitch holes were letting water in. Although my newer DD tarps have dramatically improved fixings I found having got used to an internal ridge line I was happy that 'for me' the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Although my tarp is packed in a skin for quick assembly, I can configure it however I like without disturbing the ridge line should the situation dictate; in good weather I put it on the diagonal, inclement I create a more traditional 'tent', with closed ends etc... I also found that because I rotate the tarp 90 deg (so I can pull the sides out if I wish) it only left 3 loops for an external ridge line, which would exasperate my original problem. Moreover, I found that I need to have an internal ridge line to support my under blanket properly as using the hammock suspension didn't create a good fit; the same with my bug net (although I rarely use it, I just invert the hammock). Because I don't like lots of lines to the tree (water again) I'd end up with one ridge line in and one out, with the same water wicking problem anyway. Aaarrgghh !!

It's probably my 20 years in the Military and having to make every one thing do at least ten things. Flexibility and all that... It's what drives my Mrs MAD!! An external ridge line for me only had a couple of uses. I have found an internal one to be the backbone of my whole set up, with many uses.

Hope that helps... I think it's what makes Bushcraft so interesting a subject. There's as many ways of doing things as there are personalities of people who do it. It's great to have this forum as a resource for seeing how others have overcome common problems.

Ed

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yep, I was a bit confused as to how tight to make the hammock. There's some conflicting views between 'those in the know' (and I don't consider myself to be one of them, I'm still very much learning myself) between tight, and 30 degs...?

Ed

Comfy is the prime requirement :)

I do find my DD needs stringing slightly tighter than my others, 25 degrees roughly but I can fall into an instant coma however its strung TBH :lmao:

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
True, I do use drip lines just in case, but good point. I started with the internal ridge line when DD didn't reinforce the loops (just the corners) as I found the fabric was unduly wearing and the stitch holes were letting water in. Although my newer DD tarps have dramatically improved fixings I found having got used to an internal ridge line I was happy that 'for me' the benefits outweigh the negatives.

Although my tarp is packed in a skin for quick assembly, I can configure it however I like without disturbing the ridge line should the situation dictate; in good weather I put it on the diagonal, inclement I create a more traditional 'tent', with closed ends etc... I also found that because I rotate the tarp 90 deg (so I can pull the sides out if I wish) it only left 3 loops for an external ridge line, which would exasperate my original problem. Moreover, I found that I need to have an internal ridge line to support my under blanket properly as using the hammock suspension didn't create a good fit; the same with my bug net (although I rarely use it, I just invert the hammock). Because I don't like lots of lines to the tree (water again) I'd end up with one ridge line in and one out, with the same water wicking problem anyway. Aaarrgghh !!

It's probably my 20 years in the Military and having to make every one thing do at least ten things. Flexibility and all that... It's what drives my Mrs MAD!! An external ridge line for me only had a couple of uses. I have found an internal one to be the backbone of my whole set up, with many uses.

Hope that helps... I think it's what makes Bushcraft so interesting a subject. There's as many ways of doing things as there are personalities of people who do it. It's great to have this forum as a resource for seeing how others have overcome common problems.

Ed

The TW tarps have fixed loops underneath the tarp to suspend the bug net to - very useful.

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Ed

You will find with use you will find out how yu like it, then its just a sit on to comfirm,

_Geraint_

Feb 8, 2008
Lancashire
I'll certainly look into whoopie slings then because from what I understand its not a permanent mod and it can be changed back. The tarp ridge line is using prusik loops using 2mm accessory cord either side to make it taught, I thought the 2mm might be too thin but it works great on the 5mm ridge line. There is a velcro loop in the centre of the tarp for hanging a small lantern or something. As for using an underblanket, I'm not really keen on that idea, but I thought about getting this http://www.multimat.uk.com/store/products/summit-compact-38 mat because my Exped Synmat might be a little to big. For the knots, I used a Falconers knot at one end and a taught line hitch at the other end but I'll experiment with others.

garethw

Settler
Not sure if I'll do the whoopie sling conversion.

Hi Geraint,
Whoopie slings were the best mod I did to my Travel hammock. So much easier to hang and adjust. Can definitely recommend them. I got mine from UK Hammocks, but DD does them now & I got a set for my son's Frontline. I did find the DD version harder to fit, as the fixed end loops were too small. This made passing it through the hemmed end impossible.

It is fairly easy to make a set.. just get some 2.5mm dyneema and splice it. Loads of "How to's" on youtube. I bought ready made ones as dyneema was really dear here in France and cost very little less than the UK hammocks slings.

Happy hammocking.
Gareth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE