My First Fire!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi All,

I just had to say that yesterday I succesfully built my first 'natural' fire started with a flint and steel. Ingredients were dry grass, birch bark, kindling of varying sizes and sparks.

I built it in a small cast iron BBQ

Initially I spent about 10 - 15 minutes with the steel static and pointing downwards to the dry grass and bark shavings and striking the flint downwards. This resulted in lots of sparks, half my flint used but no resulting flame. I changed tack and held the flint horizontal and directly on top of the dry grass and struck the steel across and after a couple of near starts, about 30 seconds later I HAD FLAME!!!!!

I realised another mistake (somewhat later) as in my panic and haste to get the tiny flame stoked into fire that I pretty much threw the flint and steel to one side. I realise that if I had actually been in the field - grass and whatever else around, maybe bad light/going dark I could have had problems finding them again!

Anyway, I built it up with increasingly larger kindling and hay presto! A fire!!!

I realise that most of you dont think twice about this type of fire lighting (of course maybe you appreciate your fire lighting skills every time you use or need them) but I of course am chuffed to bits to pop my bushcraft firelighting cherry.

I was so chuffed that I whipped out my phone and took these shots.

It was an altogether brilliant experience that taught me quite a bit in a short time. Nothing like actually doing it is there?

Matt.

MATTFIRE3.jpg

MATTFIRE2.jpg

MATTFIRE3.jpg

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nice one Matt,
Just wait till you do that in front of some friends and they stop dumbfounded and say "How the heck did you do that?"

To which the only answer is "Oh, its nothing really"

Well dome Buddy

Ogri the trog

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
well done mate!

- isn't the 'first time buzz' great! :D

It dosn't matter what the acheivement is, just the fact you have suceeded where you have failed before!

today a small fire on a bbq - tomorow a bonfire - and by the time November is here! .......... ;)
Don't put yourself down! - you've done well! :)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
matt-w said:
It was and altogether brilliant experience that taught me quite a bit in a short time. Nothing like actually doing it is there?
Absolutley............Well done Matt...........Jon

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thanks all for your words of encouragement :)

Can I ask what your prefered tools are. The reason I ask is that I have pretty much burnt out the flint just to start 1 fire. Is that down to my technique or is there a better bit of kit I can aquire?

Matt.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Using up the rod that quick is probably down to practice! But if it is the type I think it is, difficult to see in photo, with the metal backing they aren't the best. If you get a ferricomium rod from any outlet(do a quick search on here, there are lots :) ) get the "normal" one they last a lot longer, and use the back of your knife rather than the sawblade, they do take out chunks.
The thing to try next would be "proper"flint with a steel, it is more of a challenge and will set you up a bit better for when you try fire by friction!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
MAtt,

I generally use the large (9.5mm) rods. Either a large (Army model) Swedish Firesteel (generally about £12) or a Fireball flint (same thing, no handle) for half that. I think make a handle (dead easy, even for a klutz like me) - see the "pimp my firesteel" thread.

Another technique to try is to hold the striker still and "pull" the firesteel against it - works for me

Also try putting a LOT of pressure using the back of a kinfe tip and oushing hard and slow for the last 1" of the steel

Hope That Helps

Red

Good for you Matt.....well done!

What you actually used was a firesteel, a mix a seven different metals.

A flint and steel are exactly what it says a piece of steel struck against the edge of a piece of flint to produce a shower of sparks. The sparks are not as hot as those produced by a firesteel so only certain tinders may be used ;)

Hope thisd is useful :confused:

Once again......well done!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Goose said:
...if it is the type I think it is, difficult to see in photo, with the metal backing they aren't the best.

Hi Goose,

It is indeed that type. It was a couple of quid off ebay and I'm aware that generally you get what you pay for. It did work and for that I am grateful but I am at the bottom of a steep learning curve so will try other techniques and kit.

I tried to light another fire tonight (Oh aiye, the fire bug has truly bitten :D ) using the same method slightly different starting tinder (a little dried grass that wasn't from the same location as yesterdays but mainly dried leaf skeletons and scraped birch bark) but failed :( The flint was pretty much worn out and was down to the steel backing and I wasn't getting a good shower (well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it ;) ).

The ouside of the index finger on my left hand is now really sore through the past couple of days efforts but I'm a firm believer in 'no pain no gain' and am translating the pain as 'well, at least I have done it' and I accept that as a beginner I will find difficulty and frustration along the way.

Thanks Red,

I will check out the Pimp my firesteel thread. Always learning :)

Matt

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
You have done well mate!!!!

Fire lighting is a skill often taken for granted! I teach kids (Up to18) how to light fires with matches, and they are not always successful,

A big pat on the back is required :You_Rock_

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I've been practising again with the dregs of my fire steel (a new one has been ordered :) different to the current one so we will see the difference) and the birch bark. I have found that if I carefully scrape the bark with my knife edge at 90 degrees to it then I get loads of super thin shavings that will catch after 2 - 3 heavy, slowish rasps and tends to give better results than the maya 'dust' I have bought.

Matt.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Goose said:
The thing to try next would be "proper"flint with a steel, it is more of a challenge and will set you up a bit better for when you try fire by friction!

As soon as I find a Horse Hoof Fungus on my travels I will be straight on it ;)

Matt.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Goose said:
You can use char cloth in the meantime!
If you got the right type of maya dust, in a metal tin, you can use the tin to make it ;) .

Cheers Goose,

The maya dust I have bought is in a round plastic container. The so called 'dust' is quite course shavings. I will check out more types.

I will get hold of an old baccy tin as I imagine that will work fine.

Matt.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Matt,

Also you could try Shoe polish tins, cocoa tins - anything metal with a tight fitting lid mate

Red

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
Old thread I know, but did the baccy tin work for making har cloth? I've a spare tin since I gave up smoking and it'd be a good way of reusing it :)

Yesterday I made some using an Altoids Mints tin which worked fine, I think a baccy tin would work too.
To be honest I think you can use pretty much any tin, the seal doesn't have to be perfect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE