My First Cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tobrien1

Nov 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
Hi everyone,
I know it's not much but I haven't made any cordage before so thought I'd share it!
The poor yucca plant in the garden didn't take well to the harsh winter and snow and looked pretty sorry for itself so by order of the boss I cut it down. Poor thing.

eaafae6a.jpg

Anyway I thought I should do something with it rather than go to waste so seeing as how I've never tried it before I tried my hand at making some cordage.
I rolled a couple of leaves in a 'reeling in a fish' type action to loosen up the fibres and left them out in the sun for a while to dry off. Then I pulled the strands of fibres out and rolled them together to make the string :)

4abd4380.jpg

Heres how it looks so far. I'm not sure how much to make, it just keeps going on lol.

fbfc8131.jpg

I might try making some more using the leg roll method. It looks like a faster way of doing it!

On another note, is there anything else I can do with the rest of the plant? I was thinking of using the wood for something but it seems a bit soft.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
hey, if the woods soft it might be good for practice sculpting/carving. clean a piece up and have a go at some basic shape and 3d images, passes the time and gets the tools used. haha if i did something like this..my wife would have me by the balls..

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi samon
re carving yucca, i had a nice piece recently and with the bark being a lovely texture i thought i would do one of my carvings. all was going well untill my blade just suddenly dissapeared into the very soft centre, bit like alder but very stringy. bottom line, no good for carving imo :)

steve

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE