my first carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bushboy1

im a bit new to carving and i had a quick question

what wood?

what to carve?

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
I would have thought any wood you can get your hands on and try a spoon. Aint done it myself yet but everyone else seems to start here, knife and a crook knife.

If you dont fancy that, let your imagination run wild, dont make it too hard but its really up to you :)

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
a walking stick or a catapult is a good place to start . catapults being good for fun and food if you need a rubber sling band give me a pm can post 3 for 6pound inc p and p... then all you need to do is find a decent y shape stick to carve:)

Aug 28, 2009
Dreamland
kinda depends what you have to carve with i guess. the spoon is the obvious, but if you have more details carving tools go for a walking stick, and add a wood sprite to the top.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
something nice and soft like apple or pear if you do a spoon or spatula or something. i started with a spoon or two then tried a bowl while trying lots of different local woods. tried some apple but couldnt get a large enough piece to make a decent spoon without doing lots of damage to the tree.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE