My First 'Bushcraft' Knife!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

Survival_Steve

So it didn't take long to learn of Mora when I started looking for a good first bushcraft knife a couple of weeks back.
Originally I was going to go with the clipper, but decided its slightly chunkier cousin - the companion heavy duty - would end up offering me more versatility.
I went with the carbon steel version.

I ordered it from MM on Friday and it arrived around midday today (they told me it would have been Monday, if not for it being a bank hol). No complaints.

This is my first knife, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it's heavier than I expected - not a bad thing imo.
It's relatively sharp out of the box, but I will be taking it to my new homemade pocket strop later for a bit of honing (another first!).

Just wanted to post some pics to show it off (probably nothing special to most of you, but as my first bushcraft knife, I'm very excited!).
I also wanted to ask if anyone has any advice for a new owner (mods, care tips etc.). Only thing I know I want to do is file down the spine for use with my firesteel :campfire:

Thanks!

nkyNk0CXOySrSe25vEDJjY-4w-PXdw0f6svOeky-2K5X__Aidz0tipvwLHKd2dsLq5PfNVA0hILJafdin-3jG-xhaXUAPEshqJldQ_8Bj-_Xf9DpjiLpT9ROuSbdCzInfXZS4cae_Y88goFQaqNx_smC0wQSZZnl3ptM7RsvCP-yB90M3jyUd5_n6JsxLIk7C4DWplQRK4l2EIQQ8ljWJV8HZjraycXsgMjmutLTx1VwFZmP49JDvkvoO7fcK3phnJzKQpdFzd31SFQ_wmbk-qvpBRcp3VCxG3XERjg-xd2ce6FRp8_5SeEA-ctSkYxbW2zkvilCFu7IG_1uXAk4kT4NsnmSEEkjVRD2et2AmZMSLp0RSUMz5DgGY2adtGMM8wH2TddjleoG8b_ZjhZx9Xg2r-8SNadAY5ZYeTzYwY5QZxGIWn_1APAmvbZd1_QzB1YNK31wGVX3gLpue1ddSOERn8DnEKAlB8sV6KqlQXVCpXKg8SHjnivwLxJabFXXAk7bndyvxe7HzQEA4MhZHeiFpl5rDTWrP8KdoCVviDQlIgtuaZ054QKxR4zN6lEGEk5SSi-hWAanSovwPoJlL1no6OgLlabSzsU8fzstt8g9Z2vM7O8TV9dvwMk80ZFuC5gANYWeLT1LLLr_FJ_7F6z9xQvMwLKOEzzQjUpJ3uTPPsvLM0HnKSTYCkK0HkI=w502-h903-no

pBrTVikNRWeEYud_VoG9M716Q8gYbanvOoSLo9dO76k7sjCC-w5Tex92lRF1FcX-sog5Kqu2DqvMbJWekzZlJPxhZwEbPwBguXeucm3mIIDJfDpMzJbcnWsRdpuGgjfkRBPNDztyKkjglsMf_ifSeiAzqM89AsrzZDS7VDVVPUG9BDxgulc5S4GzreQNDa1QIlQpQ3OAdgwXoGmoicWWMh3j63oEXaXjJAZIsY6E1IKWJAD5OsWXSYW2W4zMMCUjEFbYzCK93QIspg45z7Rvxfv_cUozJsElc-Xy2j7is7CcA4i3j9DC5OXH1tSAEB2IC_OiWS7Eef-l0ns8WCPTrzSlsspS1Q8j73kxrZWKQA4jVrKOQLkrN1zCmcklaqVVbPTao3M6pbpa6XgeYaBy7U_yaQ5ICh0RfPcyDwg_3zhyzbBk2FNRYUDwJmgx6nde91olaWnDgCeaT0cT_zjFfgT3zPQD7AsmL0ns5jZOt89y4FwcZJo9DyLoIbBh9sl6yg7-7D0sZ_1GIovU-GZhSdRmkioeH9oQeqZkbdDP89IhHH88tL4rtqJnnE0Qo3HqHfTPMdLrXrRGtHb7_LOcILaFahPUrFL_DXP4k8kpjmquQJEAT7LA6Fgc7i0KsHXU7z7N0djXEWiBzrv2YfnLnCBWw7py53oVcnhXSewO4P_I1ksAoih8VmMeovVWE2o=w1920-h663-no
DH_FWadSlVMWNWk1eJ_TMxUkOvcOCNXRf6dn39gRIx-w_NfyHY9zKhAtEfSVQ2yLwJnDVAeEV_ggATE7Cwzkhrv9LxUiaTUGF_ubGygrSZUgIwOfh4i4QMne6J2-ymlXrxO1SCSsBll4BrCwsYaJDFF-eyfWi-aHHzaZ_nwDQgqGrgv51eqOEX2KJC9VkMfXdsX2c2xOVbqz6xhjC_4ti8-vrXKttEUj3mhDIPZV9OBhpnMNrV9VAw7BLLCmbZBGEeLPCHOe7ykEEI5u2pt0eUrooAm3fgPOqF3EQysmhHl7THoUT22fy7HJAiEAjqf_7Ld4YBQH9Id6todP8LPB0Ejvd3NRQSl0uzXjNQmNWbe1WehjE3i4xHdSJukpI6qlrnzAwcmjGtf894NhFYObNzheMYPLtw0cxk49WRMaL6SwS0AvUh4VnYA5YXG-UZ71Jc5idgctxWt1e0Ubzn7xsViRBmXtqIrtKarmK0_iJr2PudvhsQdBaMv23NTzvO2uWg8ivIimCrzbU1XvGvsb2jUWG96zQe6qA1pcE5wwyttU6zhi9E-j9lh5BmfHVEPfhWfzrSFRJFt7DcG_R85-V0U0-HrhMIfDuUcodYbfWN9bsNg7N95ZjcNNW9alGOH1G4qYuUTmlEHTwzLzCv3t8PG2riF5AW9jfg1APiRt49bTaVkOdWtM_NRLmbfciy0=w1615-h903-no
6SmqH7Ls-Z2_2iKKrMVWGXOan8dAXh2zQyo90_JfTuhbuzh8R4EPoI8reyzOOnqvQUU1IzeZVn303qqZvtf7wa9NaK4Q1sRPvWGxRY3ydBefqZcIImdXCu1UE9mA-ATqWDA7tlE4fU9cC8y50jfQyr8MFmLW-mXR9WGY6QbAygl4bHuFCXvbp_r14mzcmjVOei25Tn19NTwhtCSupG5v9CaaIJ3FnJyGu7x6Ot4nmqpD8E2883kF8MKbb1YvuCeni6gXfGho5mn0d34JzgseQtF34gKJWqZ_ciRUj565ZWXjRpLliwOS9ANSSL7Dfipt8MAHDH2eLTcpgfDHwm5MQ2bC5rsHsNeRzMQHNEW5z_T-ki0Ow4-X8J8bDoxAnEskk8XLOOrQeo72XRTx61HhLkM3Qcw7enwzL2WvutB5kFeQq-wcDwQqnBJ1LTZoNX7XDZ3W6oUj9QB-loviqAbNRy10x3TNbxDcIgtP16y4edZ8v0iz06WyVjyJjet_uMGztbWaPIVQBDAPVsAjP9VzdzfvM1gUU9rP4S2NU1w1wu_xHucSrjRfMzoKdalES98bge4dLDIJP43jN-hppFJyahmyAXgkX7w4kjgCYRM9hdrv3zYRkYgUkTrjTj3SsEMmjRvA7aJCP-XV7l4d4pgsrv02Myok-b7jcXADPXllkCjKx8HcCYcShAQZtr2B0Nc=w1664-h903-no

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Despite the wonderfully made, superbly designed knives owned by members of this forum I’d wager that everyone on here has a mora, probably several.

I’ve filed the spine of mine to make them a bit more fire steel friendly

Reactions: Survival_Steve

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Mors Kochanski meant, that most knifes are lost in the snow.
I heard that a few days ago in a video.

The only thing I ask myself is:

What is snow???

Mora carbon steel blades are surely the best choice for beginners and probably the best choice for old foxes.

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I agree with all of the above, except for lanyards on handles.
I'd rather lose my knife than a finger.
I know lots of people like lanyards on knives.
I have a very short one on my Laplander. I can just get my pinky between it and the handle. It's bright red so I can find it if I drop it. But imho, anything that goes around your wrist I think, is asking for trouble. No disrespect to Mors (r.i.p), he certainly knew more than I'll ever know. But, I've tried hanging a knife from my wrist in the past and it just feels wrong. A moment where you're not paying full attention and.... ouch. Others here will disagree I'm sure, so each to their own.
Personally I like to keep things simple.

You can't go wrong with a Mora HD, great knife. I bought a leather sheath for mine, more expensive than the knife :joyful: . But it fits the knife really well, feels great, it's really comfortable on my belt, it looks good and for me, most importantly, doesn't rattle. It'll probably out last the knife!
That said, the plastic sheath it comes with is very practical, clips on and off all sorts, and can even be pushed into the ground next to you if you're sitting down.

Last edited:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I agree with what's being said about Mora knives. I have much "better" and more expensive knives, but still one of my favourite go-to knives is an old Mora Companion, so old that back then it was called the Clipper. I've used it so much it just fits, like an old, well worn coat. From memory it cost me all of £7.50.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I agree with what's being said about Mora knives. I have much "better" and more expensive knives, but still one of my favourite go-to knives is an old Mora Companion, so old that back then it was called the Clipper. I've used it so much it just fits, like an old, well worn coat. From memory it cost me all of £7.50.

Mine's so old it was actually made by Frost's :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I have a very short one on my Laplander. I can just get my pinky between it and the handle. It's bright red so I can find it if I drop it. But imho, anything that goes around your wrist I think, is asking for trouble. No disrespect to Mors (r.i.p), he certainly knew more than I'll ever know. But, I've tried hanging a knife from my wrist in the past and it just feels wrong. A moment where you're not paying full attention and.... ouch. Others here will disagree I'm sure, so each to their own.

You can't go wrong with a Mora HD, great knife. I bought a leather sheath for mine, more expensive than the knife :joyful: . But it fits the knife really well, feels great, it's really comfortable on my belt, it looks good and for me, most importantly, doesn't rattle. It'll probably out last the knife!
That said, the plastic sheath it comes with is very practical, clips on and off all sorts, and can even be pushed into the ground next to you if you're sitting down.

couldnt agree more, i really dislike lanyards on knifes.

S

Survival_Steve

Yeah I have to say, I don't like the idea of it pivoting round and into my wrist / face / chest! I think the 'forward lanyard' position is much safe as it won't swing back at you, but most gear doesn't have the lanyard hole in that position from what I've seen. There's a YouTube video on forward lanyards somewhere

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5 using Tapatalk

S

Survival_Steve

Also...I just finished giving the mora a good strop'...or 'a good stropping'??...I'm not sure which on my homemade strop.

It is now shaving sharp (I can actually do the arm hair thing), which makes me extremely happy, not only for the fact that I know have a very sharp mora, but I know my strop works, and I obviously know how to strop! ...feeling very proud of myself haha
aaa55bac1e6d5a775cd0c92ba3ecc454.jpg
412b98e49413b9c48f1b19f52e8682e8.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE