My first attempts at some leather sheaths

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have been wanting to try this for a while , i got the leather scraps from a wee leather shop on Arran a while back . I made all these over last weekend again made some mistakes but i had limited tools the stitching will be better next time i think i will use a pricking iron , i,m told it is a better job.Anyway like all the other skills on this forum i really enjoyed this and cant wait to get some leather and more tools for another go,could anybody tell me what is the best laether for sheaths and the like i have been on leprevo and there are too many choices :dunno: any advice appreciated.
Picture2421.jpg

elma

Sep 22, 2005
Ynysddu south wales
excellent work gill
I'm not a leather expert but for leather you should use veg tanned shoulder in 3 or 4 mm, to mark your stiches use a set of deviders set at 3 to 5mm, an overstitch wheel will also do this and you can use it to clean up your stitching, tandy uk has a weath of knowledge in tutorials and can also supply tools and books etc
leatherworking is like knifemaking its addictive and once it takes hold it will not let go

good luck

Ian

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
excellent work gill
I'm not a leather expert but for leather you should use veg tanned shoulder in 3 or 4 mm, to mark your stiches use a set of deviders set at 3 to 5mm, an overstitch wheel will also do this and you can use it to clean up your stitching, tandy uk has a weath of knowledge in tutorials and can also supply tools and books etc
leatherworking is like knifemaking its addictive and once it takes hold it will not let go

good luck

Ian

Whats deviders Ian ?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've seen them in the flesh and they're cracking.

The first one is a real thicky for a real thick knife.

Nice work neebs.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Nice work there - I'm sure you'll just want to keep making more and more now. 3-3.5mm veg tan shoulder from LePrevo is, IMHO, your best bet, though some others on here suggest a couple of eBay sellers. You can either get pre-cut strap in a specified width from LePrevo or, if you want to invest in a whole shoulder (e.g. item 028) that's a lot more cost effective if you're going to use all the leather. A shoulder retails at around £4 per square foot, whereas the cut straps work out at nearly £10 per square foot.

If you get a hide, you can cut out lengths for belts too, though I'd strongly recommend in that case getting a strap cutter - makes the job so much easier.

A pricking iron does, I understand, give a better result than a stiching wheel, but costs a lot more and, with care, you can still get a good result with a stitch marking wheel.

HTH

Geoff

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Thanks for the comments , i played about with them at nights over a weekend while i was watching tv ,guessing i think maybe a couple of hours each.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE