My first attempt at leatherworking

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
So I have been given some scraps of leather by my mum. She used it for some of her crafting projects and gave me the remnants to see if I could make use of them. Well here is my finished product.

Not great, but its a little sheath for my camco camp axe. Not the best hatchet in the world, but good for chopping twigs and sticks and such like and hammering in tent pegs.

I figured this would be better than the crappy plastic one it came with,

unnamed (1).jpgunnamed.jpg

Thoughts, Comments and suggestions welcome.

Oh and leatherworkers of the forum, I do not envy you, this was hard work (for me).

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
doubtful, the stitching was pretty hard. I was given deer sinew, which is stiff as anything, and my hand hurt after. I didn't think about any flourishes like a stamp or anything, and not sure if I can now that its been formed, stitched and dyed.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
No, you can't once it's dyed.

Artificial sinew is pretty easy to work with. You need a stitching pony! :)

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
Ahh well. I'm happy with it but doubt I'll do any more leatherwork. Frankly it's too much hard work for me and I don't have the patience. Haha

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
see now woodworking, got no problems with. I may make a sheeth for my other hatchet, but i dont know if I have enough leather. As for artificial sinew, not sure where is a good source to get it, and where I can pick it up cheaply. But I think I'll stick to the makers on here for leatherworking otherwise :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE