My first attempt at a spoon

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
EDIT: So after finally getting a proper carving knife and a spoon knife for Christmas, I finished the spoon off. It's still a bit wonky and rough around the edges, but I am reasonably pleased with the outcome (finished with mineral oil):

5306670502_41df0be496.jpg

5306669902_3d2170a598.jpg

5306669216_3f50d4081b.jpg

I had my first attempt at carving a vaguely spoon shaped object today. I used a dead piece of birch, cut with my new laplander saw and had a go at carving it with an axe and a mora 780.

I ended up hacking a little more off than I had planned, but I altered it into a salvagable tea spoon :).

I have yet to carve the bowl out as I do not currently have a crook knife. That's next on the list.

So It's still a work in progress. I'm reasonably pleased with how it went for a first attempt, but I think that I can improve a lot next time. However, I did learn a lot about the process and it was good practice.

Take a look and let me know if you have any tips and tricks for me

5067189681_ed7734fcf1.jpg

5067797536_3b7dd2241c.jpg

5067795992_e3ceaa9eae.jpg

5067794404_acfbdc351b.jpg

5067180965_d602f46d10.jpg

Last edited:

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that's not bad at all for a first effort chris, well done.

one simple trick if you're finding yourself removing too much material is to put a pencil line where you want to carve down to, then don't go over it! the second part being the critical part.

best advice i can give is to slow down, no matter how slow you think you're already going sit down and ask the question "am i rushing this" then go and put the kettle on whilst you think of an answer. it takes a long long time to get the feel for the grain of a piece of wood, as anyone who's ever seen me whittling anything will tell you i sepnd most of my time just holding the work up to the light and looking at it, in the case of a spoon i'm looking for a spoon and sometimes it's really well hidden by all the tree wrapped around it.

keep at it chap, it get's easier and easier every time you try.

cheers

stuart

TylerD

Forager
Aug 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
As a novice carver myself, I'd say Shaggystu's advice is spot on, I'm forever rushing (unintentionally, but I hate to leave a job unfinished) and things then never look quite how they did in my head.

Some folks have a fine eye for carving and some don't, for those that don't (read as me), then it's all about practice and patience :)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...in the case of a spoon i'm looking for a spoon and sometimes it's really well hidden by all the tree wrapped around it.

Wasn't that Rodin? :rofl:

I was going to say something about looking at the way the grain goes, but Stu said it so much better. I'm not a carver and Stu most definitely is. :)

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
My advice is not to stop the work - go for it and maybe it will be a great spoon for YOU and that´s the most important thing!
It is a SKILL and you have to work by try and error - You´ll made it!

So keep on carving!
cheers
Mike

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Good first time mate.
I remember my first I used totaly the wrong wood for a first attempt(beech).was very hard work. Birch is a good choice for wood that you made

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Hi, best of luck with your spoon! My advice would be, get some 150-200 grid sanpaper, it's a lot of help to get smooth shapes. As I'm a begginer too, after making a spoon i leave it to be and then improve it after some time, when i know what i need it for. That usually includes getting the extra wood off, so it would be light and comfy to use. I use all of them, or I give them as presents and I tell you, even though they're mess, people love them, 'couse they're hand made by someone they know. So best of luck and keep them comming :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE