my fire kit

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
thought you guys might be intrested in seeing my fire lighting kit,i dont usually carry it all with ,me but when meeting up with folk i like to be able to demonstrate or show the different methods and tinders.

heres some pics:

fire kit by fishfish_01, on Flickr

theres one more item i havent yet added and thats potassium permanganate and glycerin.

thanks for looking.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I carry the same sort of tinder bag, just to show what else can be used, not just natural, but also things that can be made/found around the house, it just makes people think out of the box... Of just charcloth and fat wood.....

I got some dryer lint, wax paper, cheese wax, egg box tops, they can be waxed or scaped to make a fluff, waxed wood, bull rush, alchol wipes.....

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have similar thoughts
Alcohol hand gel, a WD40 pen makes a great candle, just light the nib...wire wool and battery etc.. Love the roller bearing set in the block of wood :D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Mmmm, interesting stuff. :) Couple of things I've never seen there.

I think in my rubber tobacco pouch at the moment there is charcloth, thin rubber strips, cotton wool balls with vaseline, birch bark, seedheads, small magnifying glass, 0000 fine wire wool, waterproof matches, spare firesteel and broken craft blade striker, turboflame lighter, and I particularly like the compressed firelighter blocks, which I break down and rub between my fingers, and put into small platic bags, then into my pouch.
Very cheap, they turn into a kind of woody cotton wool, and are recycled and natural. No chemicals or smell. Great to use. Take the smallest spark and burst into flame.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I have one of those fosco firesteels. Rod fell out day one, I put a normal handle on it and it worked happily ever after until it became too thin and it broke.
Thanks for sharing:)

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Very interesting kit you have there Justin, would be good to see a demo.

My current kit is a lot less impressive: turbojet lighter, waterproof matches, firesteel and jute hanging basket liner (in place of charcloth) all carried in a little waterproof pouch. I think I need to get a bit more creative.

Thanks for sharing fella.

Last edited:

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
I tell poeple it my belly button flufff.... :)

That's because it actually is:lmao:

Cracking fire set mate. Also love the bearing block. Mine has rubber inner tube cut into strips, cotton wool, king alfred cakes, strike anywhere matches, fire blow pipe, turbo flame lighter, fire bow set (not often packed) and firesteel.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2007
North Dorset
The Hudson Bay tinder box is the best pocket sized fire lighting utensil I've bought ever! Highly recommended, you don't need anything else with a bit of practice :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE