My EDC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

folkilsk

Jun 24, 2006
Linköping, Sweden
I've designed this for EDC... it's 5,2mm RWL-34 treated in a mixture of copper sulphate, hydrochloric acid and distilled water. What do you think?

lillkniven_117.jpg

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Folilsk,

I have no idea what the metallurgy means, but the patina on the metal is fantastic - will it "wear off" in use or is it deep into the metal?

Red

folkilsk

Jun 24, 2006
Linköping, Sweden
British Red said:
Folilsk,

I have no idea what the metallurgy means, but the patina on the metal is fantastic - will it "wear off" in use or is it deep into the metal?

Red

It seems durable... it doesn't show any kydex marks or other wear yet and I've used it daily for a couple of weeks. It is however just on the surface so it will wear of eventually. Easy to redo though... it only cost about £7 :)

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
folkilsk said:
The pattern is actually from japanese maple tree leaves :)

Hmmm the colours certainly reflect that a maple leaves. Its a great idea and superb technique....way beyond me

:You_Rock_

folkilsk

Jun 24, 2006
Linköping, Sweden
RovingArcher said:
Your knife has a very nice look to it. Does the copper sulfate change the hardness of the steel at the edge?

It's a bit corrosive and I had to resharpen it after the treatment. The steel beneath the finish is unchanged and is hardened to 59-60HRC.

Just to clarify.. I didn't do the handywork. I drew the knife, had it custom made (by Seved Hjelm, Swe) and then sent it to another knife maker (Fredrik Adolphsson, Swe) with instructions about the leaf pattern.

I am very pleased and will have more knives made by these makers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE